10 | Champagne

"I'D LIKE TO bring at least seventy people from my team," Nyla said.

Darius frowned at her from across the table. "Now that's just unreasonable. The team will need to be small at first before we can expand it. I'd say we cut the team down to about fifty people, of which thirty will be mine."

"Fine, I agree with the smaller team, but I want thirty people of my team as well. Why should you get more people than I do?"

"Because I'm the one who decided to help you out when you needed the money."

"This is a strategic alliance with benefits to both parties, and it was my idea in the first place."

There was a sigh from beside her. Nyla looked up at her lawyer Sawyer.

"What's the matter?"

"It's just the two of you are arguing over just trivial matters." Her lawyer looked at her watch, "it's been three hours since we've been in this board room and it feels like we haven't made any progress."

Nyla gritted her teeth, "We would be making progress if Mr. Giordano was more reasonable and equitable."

Darius' lawyer spoke up from the other side. "My client is doing the best he can, Ms. Malhotra. He is simply conducting business, like we all are."

Nyla glared at the man but didn't say anything.

Sawyer jumped to her defense. "Based on the conversations we have been having for a while, it does seem as though your client is not presenting a fair enough deal. If an agreement cannot be reached, there are other options available for us."

Nyla knew they other options were less than pleasing but the G-Health team didn't need to know that. Darius' jaws clenched from the other side. Nyla took in his appearance. His hands were tightly bunched, so uncharacteristic from the dinner they went to the other night. There he had been open, charming, and the perfect gentlemen. But in this board room, he wasn't shifting an inch. For the millionth time, Nyla wondered if it was actually a good idea to get into business with him.

"We both know that's not true." Darius' lawyer said again. "Your party had another investor lined up before he bailed. You need us more than we need you."

Nyla stood up after hearing those words. She wasn't asking for fucking pity. If Darius and his lawyer didn't want to get the deal done, she could find another investor. There were many investment firms lined up from across the street of the Renne head office. G-Health wasn't the only pharmaceutical company in the world either. 

"If you feel that way, I'm sorry we've wasted your time, but the exit is that way." She pointed towards the door.

Neither party moved for a minute.

"Jacob, that was uncalled for." Darius said.

Nyla still didn't sit down. She tapped her heels impatiently. Darius turned towards her, his blue eyes filled with an unspoken apology. "We didn't mean to insult you. I want this deal done, today."

Nyla thought about it for a moment before she sat back down in her chair. She could have sworn there was a collective sigh of relief from the other three members of the room. "I can see both parties want a deal so let's call off all the bullshit and get to the real numbers now."

Everyone at the table nodded.

"Twenty-five people from each team, and the salaries of those people can go under your original investment number." Nyla said.

Darius opened his mouth ready to speak but Nyla held up her finger. "I'm not done yet. Because I realize that I am laying more on the line for this project, we are looking to potentially build a new lab in Ohio. Till that place is built, the team will be working at the Renne labs in New York city."