34 | Birthday

NYLA OPENED HER eye lids to see Darius' glacier blue eyes peering at her.

"What?" she asked, masking the words between a yawn.

Darius said nothing but simply smiled at her. Nyla felt a bit self-conscious. She had washed her hair last night, so her hair was no longer straight but probably a curly mess.

"Your so beautiful," his fingers traced her collarbone, down her arm, to capture her hand.

Nyla felt herself blushing. She gazed at Darius, knowing that she was in love with him but too afraid to say anything else. Her phone beeped and she turned her gaze to glance at the date.

"It's your birthday!"

Darius scowled at her loud volume. "Are you trying to wake up everyone in the house?"

She gave his shoulder a nudge. "Don't be ridiculous, this house is massive. There is no way anyone is going to hear me."

Darius cocked an eyebrow. "And is that why you keep sneaking out of my room in the mornings?"

Nyla didn't say anything. It was true her and Darius shared a bed at night but in the morning she would flee to her room. She was already on Helena Robinsons' bad side and she did not want to fall further from her good graces.

"Stop distracting me, I have to give you your birthday present now."

"You didn't have to get me anything." Darius' arms snaked towards her waist and pulled her in close. His breath tickled her ears. "You wrapped in a bow would've been enough."

She ignored him because he was being foolish. He was her boyfriend. Of course, she needed to get him something for his birthday. She pulled up her phone and showed him the screen.

Darius' eyes nearly popped out of his socket. "Did you buy me another kitten?"

Nyla looked at his expression, unaware of whether he was pleased on not. "No, your going to be fostering her for the next few weeks but after that if you want to adopt her, you can."

She swiped to the next picture in which she was holding a cheque in front of a symphony orchestra. "I know how much music means to you, so I donated $15,000 in your name to a foundation that helps new musicians find their way."

Darius' grinned took Nyla's breath away. He leaned in to kiss her and Nyla forgot all about her morning breath in that moment. "Thank you so much, those are very thoughtful presents."

Nyla ran her fingers over his beard in a soothing motion. "I'm glad you liked it." Her fingers paused after she heard footsteps in the hallway. It seemed like people were up.

"I need to head to my room now," she whispered.

"Stay," Darius said softly.

Nyla shook her head. The last thing she wanted to do was to run into anyone exiting Darius room. She leaned in and kissed him. "Happy birthday, I'll see you at breakfast."

She opened the door, checking that hallway for anyone and scampered to her room, shutting the door lightly. Nyla leaned against the door, it seemed like she was safe for now.

♠♠♠♠♠♠

Nyla finished sending the last email before yawing. She glanced at the clock. She was tired but didn't have time for a nap. Darius' birthday gala was set to begin in three hours. Frowning, she located her phone to see if Darius' had texted her back after she'd ask him when they were leaving.

She was a bit disappointed when she saw there was no response. Right after breakfast, Darius' mom had whisked him away saying that she needed help with a few things for a gala. Nyla had kept her mouth shut but she'd wondered how a person could be forced to help for their own gala.