32 | India

NYLA PUNCHED THE bag with harder force than necessary. Sweat trickled down her forehead and her back was drenched, but Nyla had no plan of stopping anytime soon.  The last few days, any spare moment was spent at the gym taking out her frustrations and sadness. Nyla had thought she was over the family drama, but Ramesh's visit opened up a void in her heart that she though she'd closed a long time ago.

"You need to take it easy." Darius' low voice filled her ears.

Nyla didn't bother turning around, instead she punched the bag even harder. "I'm fine."

He snorted. "You sure aren't. Ever since you saw Meena, I've only seen you at the gym. Let's go out for lunch, I'll pay." Darius pleaded with her.

Nyla was hungry but if she knew that she went to lunch with Darius, he would just try and talk about her feelings—which she did not want to do.

Luckily, her phone rang, and she untied her gloves before picking it up.

"Hello?"

There was a small cough on the other line. "Nyla?"

Nyla froze at the sound of her sister's voice. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Darius glancing at her curiously, but she didn't say anything.

"I was hoping that you could come join me and the boys for lunch at a restaurant. We are going to be leaving for Pennsylvania tomorrow."

There was silence on both ends before Nyla uttered one word. "Why?"

"I realize that I said some harsh things to you when I found Ramesh and I want a chance to make it alright. It's been too long since I've had my baby sister with me." Meena admitted.

"You had to chance to reconnect before." Nyla said before getting ready to end the call.

As if sensing that Nyla wasn't moved Meena hurriedly yelled, "Wait! Arush and Ramesh really want to see you. If you don't want to see me that's fine, but I can't let my kids down."

Nyla's heart softened momentarily. "I'll come. Just text me the details."

She hung up the phone and glanced at Darius. "Meena wants to have lunch today."

Darius's blue eyes peered into hers as he cocked an eyebrow. "And what did you say?"

"I said yes."

He nodded once. "Good, I think it will be better for you. Lie all you want to me, but you haven't been fine the last couple of days. Hopefully this will help you heal."

Nyla began stuffing everything into her gym bag. "I want you to come with me."

"I thought you might want to have this moment with your sister and family."

Nyla gently placed her hand on Darius' beard and tilted his head towards her. "You are my family."

Darius' eyes sparkled before he swooped in to give her a sweet kiss on the lips. He hugged her tight. "If you want me to go, I will. I'm pretty sure I would follow you to the moon if you asked me to."

♠♠♠♠♠♠

Nyla walked into the restaurant and her eyes scanned the place for her sister and nephews. Meena hadn't chosen a very expensive restaurant—most probably because Ramesh and Arush wouldn't be allowed to enter.

Her eyes connected with her sisters as she glanced at the corner of the room. They were sitting in a red booth which gave it a family feel. Butterflies crept though her stomach and she felt like she was going to throw up.