Chapter Thirty-Two

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Up next will be the last of the ball, New Year's Eve celebrations and possibly some citrusy moments with Masen and Bella, in her POV. Thanks for reading and for your patience!

Chapter Thirty-Two

Bella

I was sitting next to Masen, heir to the throne of Gevalia, sipping real champagne, from Champagne, France. I was wearing crown jewels, in the form of diamond-encrusted hair combs that belonged to Queen Esme's mother, Princess Eliza and the wife to King Edward Anthony Phillippe Masen.

Masen wanted me to wear a tiara, but seeing as we weren't engaged, Esme didn't think it would be appropriate. So, they compromised with the hair combs. Heidi made me look every bit as regal and royal as Esme, befitting the arm of Prince Edward Anthony Masen Cullen.

I never felt more out of place, to be honest.

I felt like a sham, like the whore that the reporter called me.

Masen told me that most everyone else adored me. The Gevalian public were enamored with my ability to be genuinely good, kind, loving and everything that the country needed in a princess. The queen, then, issued a statement, backing our relationship and giving me the royal approval to date her son, perhaps even marrying him. I had the public's approval.

I put on a strong front. I smiled for photos at the church on Christmas Day when all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and not leave my bedroom. The week in between Christmas, Masen and I were holed up in Masen Manor, making love and just being. Masen wanted to take me on a tour of his country. I also wanted to see more of Gevalia, but I was terrified of another scathing article written by Laurent.

"Cherie?" Masen whispered, his warm hand grasping mine and twining our fingers together. "Are you okay? You're spacing out, love."

"My apologies," I whispered back, giving him a tiny grin. I blinked to where my sister was sitting and scowling at her meal.

"I call bullshit," Masen snorted, kissing my bare shoulder. He gently ran his finger along my jaw and turning my head toward his. "I can see your cogs twisting, Bella. You're thinking about how you're going to be trolled again. I assure you. You will NOT be torn apart by another nasty article."

I stared at him, lost in his evergreen depths. "You can't promise that, Masen," I said. "Gevalia has free press. People can write whatever they want. They can write that I'm a whore or that you're settling."

"I'm not settling," he said, brushing his lips over mine. "I love you. I want you. Only you. You're the woman I've always dreamt of, cherie." He stood up, holding out his hand. I blinked up at him. "Take it, Bella." I slipped my hand into his and he gently tugged me to my feet. Looping my hand through his arm, we left the head table. The Queen arched a brow, but Masen flashed a charming grin. We ducked out of the ballroom and out onto a marble balcony overlooking the gardens. I could see Masen Manor twinkling in the distance.

"Masen, you realize it's winter," I snorted.

"I do, but I need some fresh air. I also don't want our conversation to be overheard, especially by Lady Kathryn," he sneered. I arched a brow. "Bella, you're it for me. I can see a future, a forever with you. I know that what Laurent said rattled you. The fact that your sister is complicit? That doesn't help matters. The people of Gevalia see how amazing you are and how happy you make me."