Chapter Fifty-One

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Up next will be their return to Gevalia, wedding planning, the official engagement announcement and closure about Alice ... what will happen to her? Leave me some!

Chapter Fifty-One

Bella

We flew back to Gevalia, walking directly into a media firestorm with the announcement of our engagement. We barely had time to shower and change before we were whisked away to a televised interview. Masen and I worked nonstop for nearly a week, granting interviews for the Gevalian press. We also took our official, royal engagement photos in the gardens of the palace, which were posted all over the world.

The hoopla never died down. Our quiet life from before was now gone. Masen already had a staff, a personal assistant and such with his job as the head of the House of Lords. I did not. On a rare quiet morning a month after our return to Gevalia, I was having interviews for my own staff. I needed a publicist, an assistant and a driver. Alec was the head of my security and had been chauffeuring me around. He'd rather focus his attention on my safety.

There had been some displeasure with the official announcement of our engagement. Along with threats that an American princess would be the downfall of Gevalia. Both Masen and I were threatened. Our apartment was secured, but when we left, we were exposed. We needed some extra security. Okay, a lot of extra security.

Esme wanted us back in the Palace, staying at Masen Manor. Masen wanted to stay where we were, but with more security personnel. We won that battle, but were in the process of hiring more, along with my own staff.

I had a staff. Holy crap.

"What do you think of the most recent candidate?" Heidi asked me. "You seemed to click with Jane."

"She was knowledgeable about the educational reforms and literacy advocacy," I said.

"Keep in mind, you also need to plan for a wedding, Lady Bella," Heidi quipped. "While your plans for revamping the educational system of Gevalia is impressive, you have to make plans for your wedding to Prince Edward."

I smiled, but it was bittersweet. My smile fell, twisting my mom's wedding ring my dad had given prior to our departure back to Gevalia. He wore it on a chain when it was too tight while she was pregnant with my sister. He felt that it was now my time to have it. It sat on my right hand, sparkling underneath the lights. My mother should be here to help plan my wedding. She wasn't. Linda was amazing, but she wasn't my mother. My relationship with Esme was still on shaky ground.

"We have time," I murmured. "For the wedding that is ..." I wiped my cheeks, feeling dampness and tears had spilled onto my cheeks.

"Are you okay, Lady Bella?" Heidi asked.

I looked up at her. Her eyes were swirling with concern. "I apologize. I'm very excited about getting married. It's just hard to start thinking about planning the wedding. My mom is not here. She died when she gave birth to my younger sister. She won't be here to see me get married. My dad's dating someone, but they're in New York and you know that my relationship with the Queen is ..." I trailed off, wrinkling my nose. "Well, I don't feel comfortable going over table settings and finalizing details about the ceremony with Queen Esme. We're not exactly besties."

Heidi barked out a laugh. I arched a brow at her. "I don't think Queen Esme has any 'besties.' Perhaps Duke Carlisle," Heidi giggled. "I didn't know about your mother. My deepest condolences about her passing."