Chapter Thirty-Eight

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Up next will be a slight time jump and we're flipping to Masen's point-of-view. We're also going to have some more drama. Will Lady Kathryn or her aunt, Irina, cause undue havoc for the Gevalian royal family? Thank you for reading!

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Masen

Sitting in my office, I was trying, in vain, to get ahold of Emmett. I'd called him and told him about Rosalie upon our return from Rochester. He was upset, and understandably so. He was worried and he wanted to make it all better for his girl. His antics in the states caused an issue. He was not allowed on United States soil unless he was on a diplomatic visit.

Checking on his ex-girlfriend who had been sexually assaulted did not constitute a diplomatic visit.

In reality, it was the sexual assault that caused all of the drama with my brother in the first place. He was absolutely lost and wrecked over what had happened to Rosalie. He coped with it the only way he knew how ... almost causing an international incident.

Almost ...

Now? He won't even answer my calls. I don't even think he's getting my messages.

With a sigh, I hung up and dialed my mother. She'd have the information. Hopefully. "The prodigal son calls," Mom quipped when she picked up her phone.

"Hello, Mother," I snorted. "How are you? How are the Independence Day festivities coming?"

"I'm fine and the festivities are coming along nicely. We're making the final preparations for the parade and annual ball. It will be a wonderful celebration. I've also been reading your progress from your various meetings and things are going well, Masen. Your role as a diplomat has been stellar and I couldn't be prouder," she said. "I bet you're anxious to come home, yes?"

"Not really. I forgot how much I loved the states and the slight anonymity that goes along with it," I chuckled. "Look, I've been trying to contact Emmett ... The rehabilitation facility said that he's not taking any calls."

"He's not taking calls because he's enlisted in the military," Mom answered. "However, they should have told you, Masen."

"I wasn't exactly forthcoming in who I was, Mom," I replied, my eyes wide with shock. "When did he enlist?"

"Shortly after you called him," she explained. "After you told him about Rosalie, he couldn't stay in that rehab clinic. He also knew that he couldn't come to the states because of his actions. With a few calls, Emmett is in basic training for the Royal Air Force."

"The air force?" I asked. "He's going to fly planes?"

"No, not fly planes, but be an air traffic controller," Mom answered. "With his drug issues and some visual acuity discrepancies, he can't fly."

"Discrepancies?"

"Your brother is color blind and has a mild case of astigmatism," she said. "Lasik helped, but he still needs glasses for reading. So, it's the best of both worlds. Emmett can get the regimented control he needs and a way to focus his attention on something other than Rosalie."

"He still loves her, Mother," I murmured. "And in some way, she loves him, too. In her own way."

"She didn't even contact him," Mother scoffed.

"She was raped and drugged, Mother," I growled. "Contacting her boyfriend was probably low on her priority list. And that's awfully cold. You saw what happened to Emmett when ... I don't know what I'd do if that happened to Bella. I'd want to rip out the animal's throat and stuff it up his ass."