Chapter Forty-Six

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Esme's trying to make it better. Can she? Will Bella listen to her? And don't be pissed at Bella ... think about what she's going through?

Also, thank you for those of you who are being supportive of A Modern Day Fairy Tale. Your kind words mean more to me than I can express. I'm also a firm believer that if you should praise publicly and criticize privately. If you have a concern about my story. PM me ... just saying ...

Chapter Forty-Six

Bella

The next few days passed by in a blur. Esme came to visit each day, but I stayed hidden out in my room. I used Rachel's tablet to watch television, using her Netflix account. I didn't really pay attention. It was just noise. Billy listened to me as I told him the full story of what happened, starting with my mom's death, my dad's illness and my sister's hatred. He knew the rest of the story, with the media because Jake had told him when we spoke to him about my flying out to Washington state.

When I wasn't talking to Billy, I was starting rehab with Rachel. She'd removed my stitches and I was trying to strengthen my knee. She brought some materials from the hospital and worked with me when she was off work before going back to her house on the reservation. Eventually, I had to go back to New York. I couldn't stay hidden in La Push forever.

After a week of constant visits, Esme came back. She was still dressed casually, but I could tell that she was leaving. She was still upset. "I need to fly back to New York," she said, her voice cracking. "Bella, I understand that we may never be okay. I'll never be able to regain that trust."

"You've got that right," I muttered under my breath.

"Hate me all you want, but don't throw away your relationship with Masen because of my mistakes," Esme said, sitting down across from me and taking my hand. I stared at her; my lips pursed. "I know you still love him."

"That hasn't changed, Esme," I whispered. "But, I'm not good enough. He deserves someone ..."

"Like you," Esme said, pulling me closer. "You are good enough. You're better than good enough. You're better than me, Bella." She stood up, kissing my forehead. I pulled back, turning my face away. "I'm so sorry. I wish I could take my hurtful words back. I wish I could be a better person and make it all better." She put something on the table. "This is a ticket back to New York. Well, tickets. I know that you can't maneuver the airports on your own because of your injury. I've also ..."

"I don't want your money, Esme," I scoffed. "I don't want the press to label me as a gold digger." Esme looked at me, her brows furrowed. "I can take care of myself. I've done it most of my life."

"It's a gift, Bella," she murmured. "Come home, sweet girl. Please?"

I didn't respond. Esme brushed her hand down my hair once more before ducking out of the house. Billy came into the living room, taking the seat that Esme was sitting in. "How much did you hear?"

"Enough to know that she is right, in her own way," Billy said. "Bella, I know that woman broke your heart. I understand your pain. You feel betrayed by someone who you thought loved you."

"Who betrayed you?" I asked.

"Rachel's sister, Rebecca," Billy answered. "After my injury, ending my police career, I fell into myself. I was agoraphobic and afraid of everything. Rachel and Jake were understanding. Rebecca, she told me to buck up and deal with my issues. It was her that essentially forced me into this exile, away from my son and terrified of being injured again. She pushed me out into the world before I was ready and I fell apart. Rebecca called me weak while her siblings reamed her out for being heartless and cruel. I couldn't handle being in New York, so I left. I came here. Rachel and Jake refuse to talk to Rebecca because she refused to believe that her way was right."