Chapter Forty-Seven

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

They've got a long way to go. A lot of demons to slay, but they are still together. They both love each other and it's a step toward their happily ever after. Up next will be a reunion of Masen, Bella and Jacob. We'll also hear about Rachel's date with Oliver before they head back to the condo in Central Park West ... Will Esme be there?

Chapter Forty-Seven

Masen

I woke up, still on the couch in Charlie's apartment. Bella was curled to my side and she was out. Charlie was leaning against the peninsula in the kitchen. "Are you happy?" he asked, his voice quiet and reverent.

"I am," I said, kissing her forehead and holding her closer to my body. "We're not out of the woods, but I got the ring back on her finger."

"You should hate me, Masen," Charlie sighed. "I helped her leave. I was there when she took off her ring and she handed it to me. I don't know who was shaking more, her or me. She didn't want to leave. Your mother's words ... they shattered her. Broke her into pieces."

"Trust me, I know," I snarled. Bella whimpered and I kissed her hair. "I'm sorry, cherie." Charlie sat down across from me. "I'm still tempted to abdicate."

"Gevalia would lose out on a great leader, Masen," Charlie argued. "Look, a lot of what happened is due in part because of me. If I'd stopped Alice's behavior sooner, Bella wouldn't be so hesitant to trust or her self-confidence so shattered."

"Regardless, I've got her back and I'm not letting her go. I'm also not going to let my mother get away with her words," I hissed, shifting Bella into my arms. "After ... when I go back to Gevalia, I'm not going to stay in the palace. I want to focus my attention on Bella, on helping her and improving our relationship. I love her, Charlie. I love her more than words can say."

"What are you going to do now?" Charlie asked.

"Now? I'm taking her to bed," I answered. "We'll figure out next steps after we both get a good night's sleep." I stood up; Bella held securely in my arms. "Charlie, thank you for letting me stay here. I couldn't ..."

"Son, I get it," Charlie smiled. "I'm just as pissed off at her as you are. And by her, I mean your mother. And Bella's sister and the assholes who spread those lies about Bella." He got up, running his hands down his jeans. "I'm going to Linda's. We're going to have a nightcap."

I smirked. He'd been spending a lot of time at Linda's, especially at night. I carried Bella into her bedroom. Charlie had it cleaned up and renovated. All traces of Alice's immaturity had been erased and a sleek bedroom/home office was in its place. I laid Bella down onto the bed. I removed her knee brace and tugged off her sneakers. She was exhausted and she barely stirred. I tucked her into the queen-sized bed. I removed my clothes and tugged on a pair of sweatpants, curling around her. She turned, groaning and tucking her head underneath my chin. "Shave the beard, Masen," she mumbled, barely coherently. "I miss your jaw."

"Done, cherie," I chuckled and sliding my arms around her body. "I love you. Always."

"Love you," she said, her face pressed to my chest. I smiled and held her closer, my eyes fluttering shut. For the first time in nearly three weeks, I'd gotten a full-night's sleep. When I finally woke up, I felt the soft caresses of Bella's fingers on my chest. She was tracing my tattoo. "Hey ... I miss your face."

"I'm still here," I quipped. "I missed more than your face, cherie. And not that I'm complaining, but what made you come back? And where did you go?"