Chapter Forty-Five

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

We're going back to Bella after this, seeing into her mind and how she's dealing with the aftermath of the accident and Esme's cold words.

Chapter Forty-Five

Bella

"How's the fish, Bella?" asked Billy, Jake's father.

"It's good, but I'm still not really hungry," I said, pushing the plate away. "I'm ..."

"It's okay, sweetheart," he said, giving me an understanding smile. "You just need to eat something before you take your pain pill."

I sighed, pulling the plate back and forcing a few bites down my throat. I didn't really taste anything. Everything seemed like ash and dull since I left Rochester. Jake, who had been in the ICU, practically demanded to come and visit me after my surgery. He saw me and I told him what Esme had said, her words that rolled around in my head, shattering my already fragile confidence. Despite his injuries, Jake comforted me, along with my father. We also made arrangements for me to leave New York.

Being there was too much. Toxic, really.

I was laying on my back, tears streaming down my cheeks. My father had stepped out to make a few phone calls and arrangements for our return to Brooklyn. The problem was that we had a second story walk up. I couldn't walk up the stairs. Linda's apartment wasn't much better.

"Bells," I heard.

I sat up, wiping my face and seeing Jake in a wheel chair, pushed by Seth. "You need to rest, Jake. You're recovering from major surgery." His face was still ashen and he had lost weight.

"So are you," he smirked, taking my hand and frowning when he saw my bare finger. "What's going on, Bells? Why aren't you wearing your ring?"

"I had to take it off when I had my knee fixed," I answered petulantly.

"Talk to me, Bells," Jake commanded softly. "Charlie told me briefly what happened, but I want to hear it from you."

"I'm not good enough," I whispered. "Esme doesn't think I'm good enough for her son." I blinked up, tears streaming down my face. "And I'm not, Jake. I'm a mess. I'm not strong. I'm worthless and I don't deserve him. So, I'm listening to Esme."

"Fuck, no ..." Jake growled. "Don't get me wrong, but Esme is a bitch."

"I thought she cared about me," I hissed. "Instead, I get my heart ripped out and stomped on by her. How can I ignore that? I've lost two mothers, Jake. One from an unforeseen complication of pregnancy and the other from being a hateful, cruel, vindictive bitch. I loved Esme."

"Do you love Masen?" Jake whispered.

"I do, but sometimes, love isn't enough," I whispered back. "I hate that ..."

Jake squeezed my fingers and he tugged out a cell phone. Sliding his finger across, he pressed a button. "Dad? Yes, I'm feeling much better ... no, I'm not upset that you couldn't make it out. I get it. After this accident, it will be a long time before I drive in the snow ... Look, I have a friend and she's in a bit of a bind."

After talking to Billy for a few minutes and my father talking to him, as well, we made arrangements for me to fly out of Rochester and to the Pacific Northwest. Seth was flying out with me, helping me in my wheel chair and driving me to La Push, to the Quileute Reservation. It was a long trip. I was achy and tired by the time we pulled up to the green ranch-style home. A tall man, with russet-colored skin and a beamingly white smile, greeted us. I could see the familial relationship to Jake immediately. I also noticed he stayed on the front porch.