Part 9

Nine

I was wearing white under the weeping willow. The other times I had this dream, I was calm and serene. Not tonight. I felt restless. Like something was on my mind.

The feeling of someone watching me was always present. I turned to my left and found a man staring at me. The look of concern on his face. He looked familiar to me and someone I could trust.

He walked over to me and sat down next to me. His eyes always looking in mine. "What's wrong little one?"

"I don't know."

"May I?" He asked as he raised a hand to my forehead. I nodded to him that it was alright. His fingers rested on my forehead and my eyes closed at their touch. His touch was like a gentle breeze washing over me. "I see now. Too many questions."

I opened my eyes when his hand went away. He rested it on his knee. "I have too many question?"

He smiled warily. "Yes. You have been denied so many answers for so long." Then he frowned. "I never wish this for any of my descendants. Questions like yours make someone restless as you are. It dulls you."

I looked down at my hands. "I wish I had someone like you growing up." Someone to be there for me that was family. Someone I could connect to.

He placed his hand on my folded hands that were in my lap. "I was there. You just didn't fully know me." I looked up at him and he smiled. "The picture and in your dreams. You and I are connected through our shared lineage. You just never remember when you wake."

I tilted my head to the side. "Then why do I remember this place now?"

He smiled brighter. "The candle. The light through the darkness is helping you. You've never had that before."

I thought about it and he was right. "Am I the only one that has magic?"

He sighed. "No, but no other will accept it like you have. You have known deep down your heritage and the others fight against it. There is a possibility there is another that will accept it, but I'm not so positive."

"Who?"

He smiled weakly to me. "Laura."

My cousin Laura? The one I have never met? The one whose mother has kept them all away from the family? I knew nothing about that aunt or that cousin. She could accept our heritage like me? That would be so nice to know another didn't deny themselves this life.

"But it's not certain she will accept magic in the world. She's still young and on the fine line. I'll keep a close eye on her."

I smiled at him. "Will you tell me so I could be there for her?"

He laughed out loud. "You are so like me. I'm glad to see the caring for others is still alive in my family."

"I think I take after you." I smiled at him and leaned my head on his shoulder.

He kissed the top of my head. "Yes you do. Now be at peace. You need to rest. I'll be here with you the whole time."

I snuggled up to him as he started to sing a song. It was perfect and soothing. I felt better and felt relief. He even was stroking my hair like I always wanted my father to growing up with my head on his shoulder. I just imagined he was my father.

I smiled when I woke up. I glanced over at my dream journal and pulled it over to me. I filled two whole pages up about my dream. About my ancestor. How we had been talking through my dream before and what he told me.

When I got down to the great hall, I noticed that I was the first one of our group to get downstairs. Guess they didn't sleep as soundly as I had. I actually had some help.