Part 19

Nineteen

The first month of school passed so quickly. Right now I was nervous. You see... (deep breathe) ... Tonight is open house for all the family and those of the magical community come to the school and see the new students and the returning students. I am nervous because my family might be here.

I was predicting several eventualities...

One would be my mom shows up and gets upset that I had new clothes. Thinking I wasn’t studying and just having a good old time. That she’d tell me she wouldn’t be surprised if they kicked me out.

Another would be my mom and brothers showing up and make me treat them like royalty. Treat me like dirt. I could just see the faces of my classmates at that.

The last I could think of would be such a lonely one. No one showing up. Marek told me that he heard that the headmistress had told my mom that they didn’t have to spare any expense for them to come to the school. He doubted that my mom would give up an opportunity to come free of charge.

Either way, I was going to be sad and I wouldn’t be able to show my face very much without feeling like a fraud. Feeling like everyone is judging me by my family. That they will have a new opinion of me than the one they have right now. I don’t want to lose friends again.

I looked at myself in the floor length mirrors. I was checking how I looked. Last weekend, my friends and I went to the mall and found new outfits for tonight. I was wearing the dress Marek had found.

A creamy crepe-back satin with the crepe side out. The dress went to just above my knees. It had a boat neck and sleeveless. The skirt was A-symmetrical. There was a little cape draped down my back to cover up the fact that it was bare. The back was cut to dip from the sides to my waist line. Underneath the bust was a small band of the satin side of the fabric.

With the dress I was wearing the short dangle earrings that Zera had found in a jewelry store after I had the dress. They were pretty antique silver with three diamonds with one right on top of the other.

The shoes were the same cream color with the antique silver strands that framed each of the straps that criss crossed up her foot to her ankle. It was so cute, but expensive. And of course Marek paid for them. He kissed my cheek to get his hands on them before I could put them back.

There was a soft knock before my door was opened. Marek smiled as he came in. “You look perfect as always.” He said to me coming over and lifted a curl.

I’ve gotten very good with my fire element. My hair was full of curls. I twisted the locks of my hair around my finger and heated up. You could see the steam rolling off. All I had to add was a little product that Danielle had found for me to use. I put it in then do my thing and voila, I have curls.

I blush a little. “Thanks.”

Marek was wearing one of his very nice and expensive outfits. He was having fun and matching me. I had giggled when he said he was going to. He had whispered it into my ear while we were out last weekend.

His big smile told me he loves matching with me. His pants were a warm grey with a cream pinstripe. His jacket was the cream with the light grey pinstripes. He was wearing a crisp white shirt with a satin cream tie with an antique silver pin. Even his cufflinks were the antique silver.

He held out his arm. “Ready to go my lady?” I smiled and giggled as he knew how to make me feel better.

I took his arm and he escorted me down to the great hall. The open house was going to start as a dinner. This was more like a social dinner. The tables were all set up with place cards. Counterparts were placed across from each other as their families were sat next to them. The most family any one could have was three people.