one.

01

ROSA

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Rosa had passed Ben and Minho several minutes ago, they often did that when both parties went out into the maze. Ben, like he usually did, tried to get her to talk. But Minho, like usual, told him to stop, stating that he had no chance.

The boys in the Glade had an ongoing bet, whoever could get Rosa to talk (with proof) would get extra rations of Gally's secret drink recipe. They thought that Rosa had no idea, but she did. It was one of the benefits of not talking, no one knows where you are therefore she would usually sneak up on people and listen into Glade gossip.

Rosa had run off in the other direction, trying to get to the same Griever that she had found several days ago. Thankfully, the Griever had no idea that she was watching it. She was fast on her feet and stealthy. She hoped that the device that she had been working on for months would work, but she needed to try it out first and hoped that a Griever would stumble upon her during the day; it rarely happened, but it wasn't impossible.

Her steps echoed through the silence of the Maze, nothing but endless vines joined her as she ran through the series of walls and corners. Rosa was extremely quick due to her daily trips into the Maze and she was even more creative. She would spend every minute of her free time helping everyone in the Glade in various ways and when she wasn't, she would be inventing devices and electronics that could potentially help find a way out of the Glade.

Minutes later, and she could hear the familiar roar of the Grievers and the gust of wind that came with it. She had lost track of time again. Cursing herself for being stupid and reckless before running around the corner, seeing the exit of the maze where it joined the green of the Glade.

The Gladers were waiting there, Gally, like always, at the front and centre of disagreement. But she also could see a new face in the crowd. She had completely forgotten what today was. It was easy to do that in the Glade, the days would merge into each other until weeks felt like months and months felt like weeks. And months turned into years. 

The Greenie's eyes widened upon seeing Rosa sprinting for the exit of the maze just as it started to close up for the night, a bunch of the other boys had sucked in another deep breath. This was common for Rosa to do, and she was always okay in the end. And today was no exception, just as the walls were inching to a close, she had managed to slip through. Falling into the Greenie as she did so, both of them hitting to the ground.

Rosa could hear the Greenie groan from his place next to her, but instead, she rolled over and pushed herself up. She should have offered him a hand to pull himself up seeming as it was her fault, but she didn't. Rosa picked up her bag that was full off items that she had taken from the Maze, and walked away.

Not without turning to look at his face, a face that looked oddly familiar. Like they had met before, in a hazy dream. Rosa often had dreams filled with confusing messages and blurred blue and white lights that blocked her visions. She turned around nonetheless with her brain wracking with confusion.

She could hear Alby welcome the Greenie, "Welcome to the Glade," before all of the others joined Rosa in walking away from the Maze entrance. Leaving the Greenie to take it all in, this was his new home for the foreseeable future.

Rosa, now in the safety of her own little hut, deep within the forest of the Glade, sat alone as she tended to the tasks that the other Gladers would give her. She had made Gally a new tool for building the huts, which was no more than chiselled stones attached to a carved, wooden handle.