thirty six.

36

A FINAL PUSH

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

The white light from the vehicle shined over them, illuminating their fearful expressions and the sweat trickling down their faces from all the fire. Rosa's eyes widened at the sight of all the gang through the window, her gaze meeting all of theirs through the smoke which she coughed away, not knowing how much more she could take.

"Get him up!" she cried, trying to pull his body up so they could climb to the edge of the roof and finally fly away to safety, "Quickly!"

The two girls worked together, for the first time in months, no years, to save the boy that they both loved; trying their hardest to help him live. Even if it meant losing theirs. It was a thought that had crossed her mind many times, one of those being when she had lept in front of the bullet for him.

Rosa cried out in pain, all the stitches in her side ripping with the weight of Thomas pulling her down as he was no longer able to walk. "It's just a little further, Tommy, please."

They pulled him up once more, holding either arm and walking right to the edge, the heat from the flames hotter than ever. But the helicarrier was still too far for them to jump to the hatch, "Get closer!" Teresa screamed, trying to push Thomas into Minho and Vince's arms.

Just as their hands met, the aircraft was inched further by the winds, their hands dropping with groans of frustration and terror. "Please, Minho!" Rosa cried, trying to shove Thomas' to her friends even if it was the last thing that she did.

"Come on, reach!" Minho shouted, his hand still extended to his friends, the building beside them beginning to collapse to the ground with ash flying towards them with every passing second, "Reach!"

The girls looked at each other, nodding before pushing the boy one last time towards the helicarrier with all their might, relief flooding their chests as he was pulled into the craft and away from the flames.

Rosa's smiled disappeared as the neighbouring building collapsed into the roof behind her, throwing them down to the ground in shock. Bricks falling, the whole building falling.

"Rosa!" Thomas screamed, the name leaving his lips in fear of losing his girlfriend. The girl he loved more than any other. The one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

Teresa turned to Rosa, her head bobbing up and down as she jumped back up, pulling on Rosa's arms to tug her to her numb feet, pushing her off the side of the roof and onto the aircraft with all her might. Screams left her lips at the thought of falling to her death but stopped once the cold metal of the aircraft washed over her body.

Rosa rolled onto her back, Gally's head over her body as he applied pressure to the wound that seeped blood into a pool at her side. Rosa pushed him away, joining the others at the end just in time to see the building give way, the bricks pilling over one another with Teresa's body falling to the bottom.

Thomas screamed out for her, disbelief in losing yet another friend in one day. It was too many, way too many. Too many to mourn, to feel guilty about.

Rosa felt tears leave her solemn eyes; in her final moments, Teresa had picked to save Rosa's life instead of her own, not for her sake, but for the sake of Thomas. In her final moments, Teresa had chosen to redeem herself instead of explaining, she became the person that Rosa had known as a child, not as a colleague. A girl with a heart, a girl with bravery.