twenty eight.

28

HOSTAGE

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Fry! Have you got em?" Rosa shouted out as she fired the last of the shots in her gun and started to reload the weapon with another magazine.

"Yeah!" he shouted back and protected the group whilst the female Glader couldn't. Seconds later, he shouted, "I'm out!"

Rosa let the rest of the bullets fly from her freshly loaded gun and sink into the rotting flesh of the Cranks, most of the bullets hitting headshots or chest areas. She heard the gun click after a few seconds of shooting before placing it in the holster before she leaned down to retrieve the smaller pistol from her boot.

But before she could, the roaring of a vehicle's engine filled the tunnel and drowned out the groans from Cranks. The truck hit several Cranks down the ground. Brenda jumped to her seat so that her head was visible, her arm flying up to shoot down Cranks that continued to run at them.

"Get in!" she yelled at them but continued to let the bullets fly.

"Don't need to tell me twice," Marie muttered as she jumped into the cargo bed of the truck and then helping the others get in.

"Drive!" Rosa screamed as she fell to the metal of the truck and into Thomas who also shouted at Jorge to start to drive.

The sun started to shine down on them again as they exited the tunnel, the Cranks now far behind them. She sighed with relief and sat down properly so that her hand rested on Thomas' knee, she let her head hit the back of the truck with a small thump as Rosa started to reload the weapon with the spare bullets in her backpack.

She looked up once to see Newt and Marie sharing a glance and then looking away.

Jorge was the first to talk. Rosa expected a fatherly scold for disobeying Vince's orders, but she was surprised when it never came. "I'm impressed. You guys almost lasted a whole day."

She shared a quick look with the others in the back of the truck before Thomas asked the others if they were okay. Brenda simply turned in her seat to face them and shook her head, Thomas spoke up once more, "I'm sorry, I didn't want to bring you guys into this."

"What Thomas is trying to say, is thanks for saving us," Frypan answered with a wide smile, earning a similar remark from the others.

"Thanks, guys, really," Rosa laughed and nudged Fry's shoulder.

Brenda smiled and turned around, "You're welcome."

"Hey, don't get your hopes up," Jorge had to shout behind him due to the howling wind and roaring engine, "That checkpoint back there was the city's last defence. If that place is overrun, chances are the city is too."

Suddenly Newt's attention was drawn out of his side of the car, "Yeah, unless they found another way to keep those Cranks out."

The truck was pulled harshly to the side of the road by Jorge and they all jumped out from it to stare at the sight before them. The city was huge, larger than anything Rosa had ever seen in years. It was three times larger than the buildings and areas around it and stood within walls that were also bigger than the buildings outside. They were clean, tall glass structures which contrasted well with the derelict, destroyed ones on the outside of the walls.

"Funny," Newt scoffed unbelievably, "We've spent three years trying to break out of walls and now we are trying to break back in."

"Oh, the irony," Rosa mumbled and stepped further from the vehicle as if three steps would make a difference to how she could see the city.