Reasons To Always Go To School- Roman

"Be somebody new, do a total transformation."

It was almost like a ritual at this point, I started my day by staring at my soulmate's initials. V.S. I didn't know anyone with initials like that, and I was starting to think I never would.  They had been branded to my skin a few months ago when I had turned 17, and I made it a point to cover it up. How many people did you know with V's in their name? The only people I had told were Logan and Patton, but I trusted them not to say anything. They were my closest friends; if I couldn't trust them, I was screwed. I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. Today was going to be interesting. As far as I knew, I was one of the unlucky few who still hadn't found their soulmate. And yes, I knew there was a chance I would meet them later in life, but almost everyone found them in high school. I couldn't afford to be a freak now.

I grabbed my backpack off the hook in the hall and ran out the door and into the backseat of Logan's car. "What's up, plebes?"

"Hey, Roman? What was your schedule like? I totally lost mine but I remember it was the same as yours!" Patton had his bag open on his lap and was combing through it, looking a bit frazzled.

"Patton, I told you to give it to me because you would lose it! You said you would be careful!" Logan turned to the side and gave an exasperated sigh with a slightly disappointed headshake.

"I know, and I really did try! I think the dog got it. Sorry, hun." Patton leaned over the console and kissed Logan for a split second, but it effectively making him so confused he forgot his tangent.

When Patton pulled back, Logan looked like he was just full of blissful ignorance (a phrase Logan hated for a fact). "...it's quite alright, I suppose, since you and Roman share a schedule..." He tried to form a thought but just couldn't. Patton was a lot smarter than people gave him credit for. Logan was a strong guy but I had never seen him melt quite like when Patton was involved.

I handed him my schedule and he read it out to himself as Logan started driving towards school. We all had very different music tastes but today was my turn on the aux cord. I played my Broadway musicals and sang with that angel, Barrett Wilbert Weed. Today was the first day of my senior year, so of course, I had to play Heathers.

Logan expertly parked the car and after stepping into the parking lot, I stared at the campus before me and the students filing inside. It was home for me or more of a home than where my parents were. No, it was more than that. It was my kingdom. The best part being, I could run it anyway I saw fit. And I would keep this power for as long as I can. I had worked too hard and lost too much of myself to lose my grip now. We all headed towards the main building.

"Okay, so we have first-period English Literature and Composition," Patton held the list close to his face as we walked down the corridor. "You have what you need, kiddo?" I no longer flinched at the nickname. I knew Patton would always act like a sort of pseudo-father to me and I didn't really mind.

"Oh, damn, I need to get the workbook, hold on." I turned to face my locker and my eyes fell upon some of my least favorite people in the school. The one group who didn't give a shit about social standings or who I was. The group known as the "Dark Sides".

I couldn't be bothered to learn most of their names, except for Remus. I had the misfortune of being related to him. I'm not quite sure how, but I think it was second cousins or something like that? We didn't act like we knew each other, of course. For all intents and purposes, we were strangers, and for a good reason.  They were troublemakers and useless, just stood there trying to act edgy. Case in point, one of the losers had dyed his hair purple. It... looked kind of nice now that I had looked at it longer.

I connected eyes with the purple one for a moment and with a knowing smile, I walked over to them. Logan and Patton followed behind me, talking about their teachers and other couple stuff that was just a painful reminder of my single status. I watched, with great satisfaction, that every single one of the Dark Sides tensed up when I came over.

The purple boy was the only one who kept my stare so I approached him. I backed him into the lockers and his eyes grew wide and he noticeably gulped. For a moment, my mind thought, Wow, this guy is so cute. I mean, piercings and dyed hair are not my things, but it was hard not to notice how pretty his eyes were. They were like pools of honey. I quickly snapped out of it.

"You're in front of my locker. Move, please." I leaned in a touch closer to him and he squirmed. He looked directly into my eyes and again my mind said, You could kiss him. He's right there. His lips look like they have chapstick on them. Wonder what it tastes like. Strawberry? I ignored my stupid brain as he stepped aside. Just a side effect of being too single for too long.

I undid the combination of the lock, grabbed the workbook, and looked back at the odd group. The yellow one (Seriously, did they all have color schemes? Well, I couldn't really say anything about that) had stepped out in front of Purple, obviously protective. Remus just stood there, glaring, and Purple kept darting his eyes around. He looked back at me, and while I was definitely not interested, I wanted to see his reaction. I smiled. "See you around." My last glimpse of Purple was his stare hardening on me as I turned around and walked towards the classrooms.

Logan and Patton followed just behind me, and we finally hit the subject I had been dying to talk about all day. "Say, are you going for the musical, Roman?" Patton asked.

"Of course! Miss Kleinman, you know the one that helps out, says I'd be perfect for the role. It's a truly wonderful production, the hero falls for the villain and it's so adorable! I'd be a wonderful prince!"

"Duh, it's right in your name!" Patton laughed and I gave an accompanying pity laugh. Logan smiled fondly. "That was a better one, Patton."

Patton blushed and hugged him. "Thank you, Loganberry." Logan gently kissed the top of his head. 

"As much as I love both of you, if you don't stop with the pet names and being this cute in front of me, I might throw up." I had to interject, I couldn't stand being this lonely and imagining myself with my soulmate, wherever he was.  "Now, come on! English is first, so if we get there in time, I can ask Miss Kleinman about the role!" I dashed down the hallway and I trusted that with arms around each other, Logan and Patton were close behind me.

——
I stood talking to Miss Kleinman for 15 minutes, asking about the vocal range and experience needed for the role. She seemed a bit overwhelmed by my enthusiasm, but this was to be one of my last productions of high school, it was important. Patton was sitting right next to Logan on a corner desk and they were holding hands and discussing things. After the rest of the class had shown up, the three freaks shuffled in and sat in the corner. I noticed Purple with his headphones and it almost seemed like he was singing to himself. I would have investigated, but the bell promptly rang and I took my seat.

I allowed myself a few sneaking glances over at them towards the beginning of the class. The other two were all smiling and Purple crumpled up a small piece of paper in his hands, looking pensive. I had a gut feeling: this class period was about to get very weird.