We Agree On Something- Virgil

"I was fine, just a guy living on my own, waiting for the sky to fall. Then you called and changed it all, doll"

I woke up a few hours later, my head no longer throbbing. I spied Remus and Jan talking in the doorway, whispering, but it was obvious they were agitated. I closed my eyes and listened.

"I swear to God, if they lay a hand on him, I might kill someone," Remus growled.

"We can keep him protected, okay? He's going to be fine!" Jan was trying to keep him calm.

"I'm sorry, did you see this?" Remus shoved his phone into his boyfriend's face, who swatted it away. "He doesn't look like he's fine!"

"What's going on?" I sat up and the two quickly abandoned their fight and snapped their heads towards me.

"Are you feeling better?" Jan sat at the edge of the bed.

"He won't in a moment..." Remus muttered under his breath and Jan elbowed him.

"Just tell me, what happened?"

"Some pictures leaked." Remus handed his phone over and my heart stopped. It was Roman and I. The room was silent for a moment. Then I let out a small chuckle. Dee looked confused.

My laughter grew louder and louder until I was cackling. Tears were streaming down my face, and I couldn't tell if I was crying from laughter or pure panic. You know those moments when you think, This might as well happen? That's exactly what I was thinking. My life was already crumbling and everything was awful. So, sure. Completely out Roman and I. It cannot get any worse.

I realized after a few minutes that I was hyperventilating. Jan and Remus were calming me down while I wiped my face. "Oh God, it really can't get any worse." I half-chuckled.

"Um, well..." Jan looked to the ground. "About an hour ago, Patton posted this."

I grabbed the phone and I gasped. It was a picture of Roman lying in a hospital bed. The caption: He's going to be okay. And to whoever did this, you're all cowards.

"Apparently, some douchebags jumped him." I was vaguely aware of Remus talking, but everything sounded far away. The ringing in my ears grew louder. Roman was hurt. He was in the hospital. It was my fault. I had to go to him. It was my fault. He's hurt. It was my fault.

"You have to take me to the hospital. You have to let me fix this. Please."

"Virgil, a few hours ago, you were crying over him. I don't really see why you should care now." Jan shrugged. I punched his arm with what little force I had left, but it was still enough for him to look shocked.

"You don't get it, this is my fault. I need to make sure he's okay. I have to make things right. Are you going to drive me or not?" My voice was shaking and I realized I wasn't just scared for myself. I was terrified for him. God knows what's going to happen to him now.

"We'll drive you," Remus grabbed the car keys from Jan before he could even protest. "Let's go check on Princey. I'm not going to be the one responsible for you losing your love. They're at St. Richard's."

——

"Roman?" I stepped into Roman's hospital room. I had practically jumped out of the car as soon as Dee pulled up and accosted a nurse into letting me see him. I had to make sure he was okay, it was my fault he was hurt. I didn't care about anything else at that moment. I just needed to know he was really okay.

"V-Virgil?" Roman's voice was weak and raw, which absolutely broke my heart. He tried to sit up a little, but his mother held him down.

"Who are you?" Mrs. Princeton stood in front of Roman protectively with her arms crossed. I was still catching my breath, so I didn't respond immediately. Roman took over for me.

"Um, this is Virgil. He's my co-star in the play." He wouldn't look me in the eyes and I kept my hands at my side, though I wanted nothing more than to be able to throw my arms around him and apologize.

"Mrs. Princeton, would you like to come with Logan and me? We're going to track down some coffee." Patton read my expression and spoke up.

"Sure, dear, let's go." She walked out the door, with Logan and Patton trailing behind her. I watched the door close behind Patton and then I turned back to face Roman. His face was bruised, but I could tell he couldn't bring himself to look at me. He picked at his nails and the silence was heavy. No one spoke for about 15 seconds.

"So-" Roman started to speak, but I cut him off.

"Listen, I have some things I need to say, and I have to say them now or I'm going to completely lose my nerve. So shut up and listen to me," I didn't give him a chance to respond or even look shocked before I continued. I collapsed into a chair by his bedside and pulled at my hair.

"I really screwed up this morning. I shouldn't have freaked out at you. It's just, something like that has never happened to me before. Forget the fact I woke up with the most popular guy in school. I got scared. I knew you were going to regret it and I panicked. I said a lot of stuff I never should have said because I bet you were also a little shocked at this revelation. So, I'm really sorry and I hope this isn't going to affect us being friends after this." I inwardly cringed at my last sentence, knowing that I didn't want to just be friends. But now was not the time to worry about that. One neurosis at a time, Virgil.

"I don't want this to stop us being friends either," Roman spoke after a beat and I looked up and saw him smiling weakly. "We both messed up this morning, but it's okay. We're going to be okay." He reached over and took my hand and squeezed it gently. I smiled when I saw his hair falling over his face.

"School is going to be absolute hell on Monday." I sighed, but he gripped my hand harder.

"Doctor said I'll be back then. I'm definitely not going to be the popular kid anymore, but it's fine. No use freaking out about something that's inevitable." He tried to shrug his shoulders, but he winced.

"Careful there, Princey. That was almost emo for a moment." I joked and I felt a warm feeling in my chest seeing that stupid little smirk.

"Me? Emo? No, no, my creepy cookie. That's your job. But just to be on the safe side," He let out a huff of air and his hair fluttered. "Could you move this hair out of my face? It's really annoying."

I made a big show of rolling my eyes before using my free hand to wipe his hair back. I hardly noticed how much closer I was to him all of a sudden. My hand traced down his face and I could have sworn he shuddered. I was enjoying this way too much, and I was about to call him out on it until I saw what my hand brushed over.

V.S. The initials on his cheek were clearly there. They must have removed his concealer when he got here. Or maybe it was never there? How didn't I notice it this morning? I must have been too busy yelling at him. My heart pounded in my chest and I couldn't tell why.

"Virgil? What happened?" Roman read my expression and he looked concerned. He didn't know that the makeup was gone yet. I looked back into his eyes with my own wide eyes and was about to speak when the door was thrown open.

"Really, the coffee here is horrendous," Roman's mother walked back in with Logan and Patton close behind. I quickly dropped Roman's hand and pulled back before she could notice. "Though, I don't suppose people come to a hospital for the coffee."

"Well, I'll see you on Monday, Roman. Bye, Patton. Bye, Logan. I... yeah." I stood up quickly and backed away towards the door. I didn't have to look over to see Roman's expression of confusion and hurt. Before anyone could speak another word, I ran out the door.

He was my soulmate. The initials were matching. Why didn't I say something? Why did I run out of there? Why....why.....why?