I Make A Terrible Mistake- Virgil

"Ironically I need to scare you straight because this should not be how we roll. We get these ideas and we just can't wait, but there is a price."

I had barely sat down at my desk when Remus slipped a piece of paper into my hand. Confused, I opened it and scanned the message quickly: "Test drive time babey!!" A brief panic overtook me as I tried to think of some way out of this stupid situation. I looked over at him and whispered, "Only if you start it." I figured he would wimp out, but of course, Remus nodded. Great. The first day back and I'm going to get humiliated.

Since you have almost no idea what I'm talking about, I should probably explain. Last year, my own anxiety had been so crippling, I had never talked to anyone except Jan and Remus. I was sick of acting like a child, so I had been practicing responses to people all summer. And yes, in retrospect, it is pathetic to teach yourself how to talk to people, but I couldn't shame the results It took many hours of me hurling insults at myself in the mirror (not great for the self esteem). Of course, my friends didn't believe me, and part of me didn't blame them. And now, Remus has handed me the chance to prove I could actually talk to people. Thanks, buddy.

The bell rang and I could have sworn Roman kept looking back at me, and I was about to mention it to Jan when Remus tapped my shoulder and eagerly pointed at Ms. Kleinman leaving the room. Oh boy. Guess we're really doing this. The room was silent for only a moment when Remus started talking. "Geez, wonder what loser play they're doing this year." What a wonderful starter and I knew exactly why he chose that sentence.

Roman whirled around in his seat and glared. "Oh please, the plays are great! Not like you ever took the time to notice." He spat back, and I guessed Remus had touched a nerve. I couldn't help but chuckle under my breath when Roman turned to me. Oh shit, you fucking moron.

"What are you laughing at, Hot Topic?" He grinned. My mind went quickly. Work with what he said. Hot Topic. Hot Topic. Hot. That's it!

"Aw, you think I'm hot." I quickly retorted, matching his smile. What the fuck?! Everyone, including him, looked stunned. I don't think they had ever even heard my voice before. Around the room, there was an awkward laugh as people wondered what had happened to that shy, weird kid. I wanted to know what happened to that kid too. Because that was the stupidest thing I've ever done.

He laughed, and I would be lying if I said I didn't like the sound. It was a nice laugh. Objectively. "Please, let it go, Charlie Frown." He fired back and we both realized what was about to happen. Name-calling match. No holds barred. God, I had never hated Roman and Remus quite like this before. This was some middle-school bullshit.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sir Sing-A-Lot." I stood up as I said it, trying to give myself a height advantage. I quickly lost it when he also stood up. He was at least 3 inches taller than me. Somehow, insults are less effective when you have to look up to the person. Remus and Jan were just watching in complete shock. Good.

"Okay, Jack Smellington." He took a step towards my desk. I returned the action and took a step towards him. I ignored the wavering in my legs.

"Haha, fuck you, Romano." I felt this odd feeling of courage in my blood as I flipped him off. At this point, we were standing directly in front of each other, almost nose to nose. The whole class was shouting, "Fight, fight, fight!" Jan was the loudest of them all.

Roman's voice dropped so only I could hear him. "You're about to be introduced to a whole other world of pain, Panic! At the Everywhere."

I laughed in his face, which obviously surprised him. "I couldn't have said it better myself." I swung at his face and I heard a sickening crunch as my fist connected with his nose. Oh no. This wasn't part of the plan.

He yelped and took a step back, clutching his face. A thin line of blood was seeping through his fingers. I stepped back horrified. Oh shit. I didn't mean for it to go this far. I saw Patton and Logan run to him and try to pull him back, but he shrugged them off. He looked at me and I had just enough time to think, I'm screwed, aren't I? when he pounced on me and knocked me backward onto the carpet.

The class continued yelling as Remus and Jan tried to pull me away and Patton and Logan desperately peeled Roman away from me. He still managed to get a few punches and kicks in there, and I was sure there was going to be a black eye. That was going to be hard to explain away. The class suddenly silenced, as Roman and I stopped our tussle to look over at the door, we both blanched when we saw Ms. Kleinman standing there.

She walked over and pulled us up by our shirt collars. I could feel my face turning red and judging by his expression, Roman didn't feel much better. I felt queasy and sick. This wasn't me, this was so not me. And all I could think was, my mom was going to kill me.

"I want to see both of you after school today. Don't even think about being late." The class oohed and I could see Remus's face. He looked so guilty. She released us and I stalked back over to my seat, my hand over my eye. I didn't spare a glance at the teacher.

"Dude, I'm so sorry, I didn't think that would happen!" Remus whispered at me frantically as the teacher resumed the lesson. The wild look in his eye didn't escape me, though I wasn't paying close attention. I was watching Roman talk to Patton and Logan, who both kept looking over at me nervously.

"That was brutal, man," Jan chuckled nervously. "If you weren't about to get in trouble, I'd say good job."

I smiled, not used to being complimented. The class ended and I practically ran out to avoid Roman. I noticed him going to the bathroom with Patton and Logan, probably to clean up the blood. I didn't care. Mostly.

The rest of my day was spent in absolute dread of the end of the day. What was she going to do? Suspend me? God, how much of a failure do you have to be to get suspended on your first day of school? Remus tried his best to make me feel better, but I couldn't concentrate. Roman kept glaring at me as if I had started it by calling him "Hot Topic". Oh my God. Did I really tell him, "Aw, you think I'm hot." I would never live that down. What a stupid thing to say.

Don't get me wrong. Roman was cute, I'm not afraid to say it. Anyone in their right mind would think so. Something about his smile and his hair and his... sorry, I forgot what I was saying. But for me? I was a loser. I wasn't the sort of person that could say things like that to people like Roman. Did he think I was flirting with him? Probably not, considering what followed that encounter. It all happened so quickly, I don't remember.

Jan and Remus tried their best to engage me during lunch, but I couldn't focus. It was all too bizarre. And I couldn't ignore that sinking feeling in my stomach that I had made a massive mistake. One I would not come back from. I had so many theories, but they were just that. Truth be told, I had no idea what would happen when I went back to Ms. Kleinman. But I knew that whatever happened, I had to spend my last year of high school hiding from Roman Princeton in every class I shared with him. Which, by my guess so far, was my whole schedule.

I touched my eye and noticed how tender the skin was. Wonderful.