I Am Handed My Death Sentence- Virgil

"When you smile, you knock me out, I fall apart. And I thought I was so smart."

Why did he have to be like this? So goddamn cute? It was infuriating. Roman was such a jerk, I bet he knew that I was gay and was just messing with me. Guys like that are never gay. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. But then, there were the initials...R.P. Roman Princeton? That was just my own little piece of hope that I was going to keep close to my chest. No one had to know the edgy kid was attracted to the popular douchebag who wouldn't give him the time of day.

My heart almost burst when he asked me to walk with him. I could feel it in my chest. I tried to play it off coolly but I almost lost it when I took his hand. What was wrong with me? I needed to calm down, after today I would never talk to him again. The thought, suddenly, became depressing. Why was I so wrapped up with him all of a sudden? Is this a side effect of fighting people? Maybe there was a reason I didn't do it often.

"Well, are you coming or not?" I left the classroom, realizing I had been staring at him. I couldn't tell if he noticed. He jogged up next to me and we walked down corridors in uncomfortable silence.

"So, uh, your name is Virgil?" He asked after a while. Oh shit. How and why did he have to find that out? As much as I love my mother, I could never understand why I got such a dorky name.

I tried to act like it didn't bother me. "Who told you that?"

"My friend, Logan, he overheard it." He spoke cautiously, which for some reason made me mad. I was not some temperamental child he had to handle.

"Only my friends call me that. You're not my friend." I quickly shut him up. He looked almost crestfallen, but what did he expect? A few hours ago, we were fighting. A few flirts (still not clear if it was flirting) and we were friends? Not likely.

"So what do I call you?" He asked. I honestly didn't know. He supplied an answer. "I'll just give you nicknames."

"Oh, like the ones from English?" My voice was dripping with sarcasm. "How nice of you."

Roman quickly got defensive. "Oh, yeah, 'cause you were so nice to me, Dr. Gloom."

"Well, if we both feel the same way, why did you want to walk with me?" I stopped in my tracks and faced him. He stopped as well.

"It was a gesture of friendship! Though, according to you, we're not friends. So maybe this was for nothing!"He waved his arms erratically and some part of me rejoiced in that. This is how it was meant to be. Fighting. Not whatever I was thinking before. This felt infinitely right and infinitely wrong.

"You're exactly what I thought you were, Roman. A selfish stuck-up prick that only cares about other people when it's convenient. Guess what? I'm not that easy. I'm a nightmare. So maybe, go find someone else to nickname because I'm. Not. Interested." I snapped.

He looked stunned and hurt. He kept opening his mouth to say something, but no sound came out. I waved my hand dismissively. "Forget it. Let's just get this over with." I said and kept walking. And that little piece of hope in my chest? I threw it away. Roman followed me and we didn't say a word to each other for the rest of the time.
__ __

"Welcome, gentlemen. Please, take a seat." Ms. Kleinman gestured to a set of chairs in front of her desk. Roman and I sat down, not looking at each other.

"You know exactly why you're here. Brawling in the middle of a classroom while I stepped out. And obviously, punishment is needed," her words echoed noiselessly in my head. She wasn't saying anything I didn't already know. "But then I had a much better idea." My heart stopped. A teacher having any kind of ideas never boded well for me.