I Waltz With A Disney Prince- Virgil

"I looked down at the ground and then I felt it right within. It was too late for me."

Practice had ended almost 10 minutes ago, but I sat on the edge of the stage, letting my legs dangle. I seemed calm on the outside, but internally I was freaking out. There were so many songs. So many dance sequences. When did I bring up the fact I didn't know how to dance?

 I turned around and heard a voice singing from backstage. It was faint and barely recognizable, but I had a gut instinct I knew who it was. I guessed it was Roman. I stood up quietly and put my script to the side.

 I snuck into the dressing room to find Roman singing to himself while sitting on the chairs. I listened for a while, not wanting to disturb him. He seemed calm, happy. He really did have a wonderful voice, I couldn't help but smile.

He stood up suddenly to belt out the chorus. I pulled out my phone to record. It was too good of an opportunity to miss, this could be future blackmail! Friendly blackmail! Was that a thing? 

It was a romantic song, something about rewriting the stars? It sounded familiar like it was from a musical, but I couldn't place it. Part of me imagined that he was singing it to me. Stupid. Then I cleared my throat. He whipped around and sighed. "Oh look, it's Surly Temple," a smile played across his lips. "What are you doing here? I would have thought you'd have left."

"Taking a look over the script when I heard your own little performance," I held up my phone. "I love having my own copy."

He looked a little nervous but kept the same lazy smile. "Yeah, haha, just delete it," his voice was tense and he made a grab for the phone. I side-stepped easily, still holding the phone just out of reach.

"Feeling a little self-conscious, are we? How novel." I teased. I enjoyed doing it. There was something about watching him squirm. He seemed more human at that moment than any moment before. Not when we fought or teased or anything. He just seemed like another teenager. 

"Stop, Virgil, delete the video." he lunged again, but I was quick. "What are you going to do if I don't?" I stumbled only briefly, but Roman took advantage of the brief lapse. He grabbed my wrists and shoved me against the wall, his face so close to mine. Fuck.

"Do you really want to find out?" he stared into my eyes, his voice quiet I was both scared and... well, the last part's not important. We both hesitated before he noticed how wide my eyes were, and the position he had put us in. He released and I quickly deleted the video. I stared at him for a moment before he sighed, his shoulders sagging.

"Sorry, I've been a bit on edge today." he raked his fingers through his hair. "Not an excuse, but still."

"It's fine, I was already stressed anyway." I attempted to diffuse the situation with humor. It seemed to work; the air wasn't too heavy with tension.

"What were you stressed about?" he leaned back onto the dressing room table and glanced at his phone.

I decided it was no use lying to him. "There's dance numbers. I don't know how to dance."

He searched my face for the joke, but no laughter came. "Wait, really?" After an awkward silence, he spoke. "I could teach you if you like."

"You should probably be getting home soon, Roman. Dear mother might be worried." My second attempt at sarcasm went over much better. He rolled his eyes and started finding music. I tried to protest, but then the music started to play. It was La La Land. I loved that movie. It only proved what I always knew: Soulmates sometimes just could never be together. No use spending too much time worrying about it.

Roman set the phone down on the table and bowed to me, like a Disney prince. He extended his hand to me and smiled. "May I have this dance?" The whole thing was just so ridiculous.

I returned the smile and took his hand. He pulled me closer and put one hand on my waist lightly. "Once you master this, the rest should come simply." And with that, he started to glide.

I'll be very honest, I was not graceful or beautiful to watch. I was a bumbling mess that kept stepping on his toes. "Sorry!" I sighed, after messing up for the 10th time in 5 minutes. He was so patient with me. "It's okay, you're doing fine for a beginner." I knew he was lying. I'm pretty sure a toddler could do a better job.

After about an hour, we had gotten into a rhythm. I was leaning into him and his head was resting on top of mine. Everything was finally okay. It was finally peaceful. I was going to say something, maybe about why we were always so tense around each other. 

"Virgil? You back here?" I heard Remus's voice suddenly near us. I moved too suddenly and tripped Roman. We fell over in one big heap. I groaned as I was crushed by Roman's full body weight. He pushed himself up with his arms and when his head had cleared, he looked at me with fear and confusion.

I was laying back on the floor, my hair blown out of my face. He was on top of me, his arms on either side of my head. I glanced at the floor and realized I had accidentally gotten in way over my head here. I stared at his face for a moment and I swear he started to lean down. Oh fuck, this was really happening. I pushed myself up slightly.

"Vir-oh! S-sorry!" Jan wandered in and immediately took a step back. Roman jumped backward and I crab-walked away from him as quick as I could. "I can... come back later..." He flushed and looking everywhere but at us.

"No, I have to leave anyway," I dusted myself off and threw my hair back over my eyes. Roman gathered up his stuff and looked at me for a moment.

"We should keep practicing your dancing, just to make sure you got the hang of it," Roman picked at his nails and stared at the floor. "After practice on Friday?"

I nodded and gave him a shy smile. "See you around, Virge." he smiled and walked out, passing by Remus and Jan in the doorway.

"So," Jan crossed his arms and stared at me. "You want to explain that to us, Virge? God, that's such a stupid name!" As he said it, he started to laugh. My face flushed defensively.

"What's going on with you and the theatre freak? Yesterday, you were complaining, but now it seemed you were cozying up to him just fine." Remus's words were horribly teasing.

"He fell on top of me, he was helping me dance!" I yelled.

"Are you into him? You were fighting this guy yesterday, and now you're falling all over each other!" he nudged me slightly but I wasn't having it.

"Why are you guys here?!" I clasped my hands on both sides of my head and closed my eyes. The pressure building up was getting to me. It was all too sudden, too fast. I couldn't get a handle on anything.

Jan snickered and pulled out his car keys. "We're your ride home, dumbass!"

"Forget it!" I ran out of the room and grabbed my backpack pursued by the two. "I'll catch an Uber! You don't need to come and pick me up tomorrow either. I'll walk."

"Oh, come on! Virge!" Remus called out after me but I just kept walking. I know they were just trying to lighten things up, and honestly I was grateful they at least weren't mad at me. But it wasn't much consolation. By the time I got home, I fell straight to sleep, not bothering to do homework or anything. All I could think of was Roman's smile. Pathetic stuff.