I Comfort The Stormcloud- Roman

"If I could tell her how she's everything to me. But we're a million worlds apart and I don't know how I would even start"

I woke up the next morning when I felt someone tapping on my shoulder. I shifted over and saw my mother standing there. I rubbed my eyes and glanced at my clock. It was still 6:30.

"Why am I awake?" I groaned and buried my face in my pillow before it was swiftly yanked away and my head hit the mattress.

"You wanted to wake up to make sure you packed a change of clothes for that party tonight," she reminded me and I shot up. I did ask her to wake me up. The truth was, I had to look incredible tonight. Why? Because Virgil would be there and I had to look my absolute best.

"Thanks, Mom!" I threw the comforter to the side and ran over to my closet. The truth was, for once, I had no idea what to wear. God, I couldn't be any gayer at this point? Did I dress in a way I usually did? Did I go for a darker tone to make him more comfortable? Did I wear something I knew would make me look really hot? After a moment of deliberation, I decided on the last option. Did you really expect me to try anything else?

I shoved the clothes into my backpack and headed outside to meet Logan and Patton, giving my mother a dismissive wave. I jumped in the backseat, a smile plastered on my face.

"Well, what's got you in such a great mood today? Could it be that a certain dark stormcloud is your date?" Patton turned around in his seat and gave a dopey grin.

I didn't even attempt to hide it. "Oh my God, you're right! It is a date! I have a date with Virgil Sanders and I cannot think of a better sentence." I draped myself across the seat and Patton sighed.

"Remember when we were first so in love, Logan?" he turned to Logan. "I don't know about you, but I was definitely like that."

Logan was silent for a moment before turning and kissing Patton gently. "Well, for the record, I'm still like that." Patton blushed really hard and held Logan's face.

"Okay, I can tell you two are about to intensely make out but do you mind taking me to school first?"

Logan sighed and started driving, but he never once let go of Patton's hand.
——
By the time I had walked into the building, leaving Logan and Patton behind, Virgil was standing by our lockers. He was talked with his friends and he gave a cynical chuckle. All of a sudden, there was fear gnawing at me.

I really loved Virgil. Whenever we were alone, he acted so differently. It was so easy to care about that person. But seeing him like this was different. This was what most people thought he was: an emo smartass that didn't give two shits. If I was being honest, I didn't like this person. I liked who he was when he was with me: the shy, sexy vocalist who could banter with the best of them.

Flirting with him was easy. Both of us getting a little hot during math homework was something I could handle. But admitting I had real feelings, not just that I thought he was hot, was so much tougher. I don't know how to really talk to Virgil. I know how to flirt, but nothing else.

My fear eased up when he looked at me and really smiled. He looked glad to see me. We were from two different parts of high school, but none of that mattered to me when he smiled. I walked over and I saw Virgil shift his stance slightly.

"Hey, there." I leaned on the lockers next to him and grabbed his hand. "Come by here often?"

He scoffed but didn't yank away. "Oh, hi thanks for checking in. I'm still a piece of garbage."

I almost kissed him just to shut him up until I was suddenly very aware of people staring. I wanted to yell, Can you get your entertainment anywhere else? But then I remembered that I, somehow, was popular. I let go of his hand and he gave me the saddest resigned look. It was like he was saying, See? A million worlds apart.

The conversation awkwardly lagged for a minute before Virgil broke the silence. "I hope you're prepared for me to crush it at this table read."

"Is that so? I wasn't sure if you could act at all." And just like that, it was back to banter.

"Please. You'll wish you could act like me." He turned and walked down the hall before I could respond. This sassy emo was going to be the death of me.
——

The day passed quickly and soon enough, Virgil and I were walking to the theatre in silence. He sat down at a table on the stage and I took my place next to him. The read-through went by relatively smoothly, and just like he said, Virgil did a wonderful job. He didn't have to act at all; this character was simply another version of him. I got goosebumps with every word. The final scene came way too quickly. I gulped and started my lines.

"Are you ever going to listen to me, Joan?" I looked at Virgil as I tried to pour emotion into the line. He just looked sad.

"I was doing fine. Did you have to come back in here like you didn't break my heart?" his voice was quiet and full of pain.

"I wanted to see you again. You know I did." I started pleading, but Virgil never took his eyes off the page.

"I also know it never would have been allowed. Just give it up. There are two sides in this world and they were never meant to meet. We have been doomed since the moment we met. We are not the same, and we never will be." Virgil's voice broke once and I noticed he was struggling to keep his face neutral. It seemed like no one else noticed.

"Please don't leave me again. Please." I could hear the emotion in my voice, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"I don't want to, Thomas." his hands clutched the paper a little too tightly. I could hear the crinkle.

"They kiss." the stage manager read out the direction.

"Thomas, this isn't allowed. We aren't going to be okay after this." Virgil finally looked up at me and his eyes were red.

"We will be. Because we have each other." I let one hand fall from my paper and I grabbed Virgil's hand and squeezed it. I couldn't tell why he was so upset, but I wanted to comfort him anyways. He didn't pull away.

"And that's the end. Good job, everyone. Our leads are going to do wonderfully," Our director, Danny, stood up and we did too. I refused to let go of his hand. "We'll figure out a way to avoid you guys actually kissing if you aren't comfortable with that, and that's the end of practice. Thanks for coming, see you guys Monday."

Everyone left, but I held Virgil back. As soon as the last person left, I pulled him closer to me, so I could see his face. "Virge, what happened?"

He just shook his head. "Sorry, just one of those days. Do you mind if we just skip dance lessons today? Not really feeling up to it."

"That's fine. We can just get ready for the party." I gave him a confident smile and he relaxed. I decided I liked to comfort Virgil.