I Wonder If I Lied To Him- Roman

"I romanticize what might have been if I hadn't sized him so quickly."

Today was solidly the weirdest day of my life. I started it, happy and at ease barely knowing who Virgil was. And now he was my co-star and I might have a thing for him. Emphasis on the might. Why I did, I had no clue. I won't deny I wasn't exactly pleased when Ms. Kleinman's plan was revealed to us. But then she mentioned Virgil sang. And he sang well.

I knew I hadn't been imagining him singing that morning, and now I wished I had the chance to hear him. Especially when he turned beet-red upon hearing that. I won't lie, I'm a sucker for a guy with vocals. And when he agreed to do the musical and didn't judge me for cheating my way through that class, I thought maybe this was the start of a beautiful friendship. Until he dropped that final bombshell: "You're not allowed to fall in love with me."

Where was the justice in that? Yes, I did hate him. Every chance he could, he found some way to make me feel awful. Yeah, I said stuff to him too, but that's not my point. And then, he did something absolutely adorable that made me just want to give him a hug. Blushing when Ms. Kleinman said he was good at singing? He was so infuriating.

And then, there were the initials. I needed to find a way to see those initials. And find out his last name. There was probably no chance of us ever being with each other, but if you saw his eyes, you would want to be his soulmate too.  I knew he was messing with me on purpose too. Standing that close to me and staring into my eyes, my mind kept telling me, If you lift his chin up a little, you could absolutely kiss him. And then he said, "You're not allowed to fall in love with me." And then he brushed over my hand? This dark, brooding bastard was amazing.

I stared at him leaving, and while he looked fairly good doing it, I realized I had to go find Logan and Patton and fill them in. Luckily, Logan did tutoring on the bleachers at cheer practice, so I grabbed my bag and left in the opposite direction of Virgil.

——
"Alright, good practice, you guys! Same time, next week!" The coach yelled to the cheerleaders as they wrapped up.

Patton ran over to me immediately. "Well, what did she say?"

"Get Logan over here too, I'll tell you both in the car." I was more than a little nervous to talk about it.

"Okay... hey, babe!" Patton yelled and waved wildly. Logan perked up from his spot on the bleachers and smiled. Logan said something to the student and walked over to us as she packed up.

"What happened?" He didn't even bother to say 'hi'. I didn't really hold it against him. I just turned away and walked over to the car. I knew they were following me.

I got in the backseat and Logan sat in the driver's seat with Patton next to him. "Well?" Patton was really anxious as his leg bounced up and down

"Good news: I'm in the play." I started slowly. Patton smiled but Logan didn't. "What's the bad news?" Logan asked.

"Guess who's co-star?" I eyed them warily. Patton's eyes were bugging out of his head and Logan just looked slightly amused.

"You're kidding! Is he any good?" Patton asked.

"Apparently, he can sing, I haven't heard him yet. But, I'm not sure about acting yet," I sighed. "I could have done worse for an attractive villain." I couldn't help but mumble the last part under my breath. I'm gay, sue me.

"Roman, do you actually like Virgil Sanders?" Logan scrutinized my expression. His last name was Sanders? Now, I had to find out who his soulmate was. But, that would be later. Now, I had to throw them off my track. Because if they figured it out, I would never hear the end of it.

"Please. He's such a jerk. You should have heard the stuff he said to me in the hallway." I looked down. I really did trust them, but I wasn't going to tell anyone about this yet.

"You did flirt with him. And that whole hand-holding thing? Please, you are so into him, even if you think he's a jerk." Patton could always tell what I was really thinking like he was my heart or something.

"That's not the point," I stared at the floor so hard I could have bored holes. "The point is I have rehearsal tomorrow and I need to have both of you there. I cannot face that kid alone."

"Alright, we'll be there." Logan was very calm, which made me a little mad.

"Great, thanks. Can we go home now?" I didn't really want to talk anymore. I was too busy absolutely freaking out.

——
I stood on my doorstep and waved at my ride as they pulled out of the driveway. I went inside and went straight up to my room, collapsing on the bed. Virgil Sanders. I was in a play with Virgil Sanders. I was in a romantic play with that Negative Nancy. I had a slight crush on a guy who I hated and who hated me. There was obviously something very wrong with me.

I tried to focus on my homework, but his face was stuck in my head. "Aw, you think I'm hot." That was so cute. "You're not allowed to fall in love with me." Not as hopeful, but still cute. And those eyes. I dropped my pencil and covered my face. I have got to chill. I tried thinking of things I hated about him. His really fluffy, purple hair. Those piercings in his lips. How he always said really accurate things about me. I groaned, this was not helpful. Stupid boy.

I trudged downstairs and sat at the table, picking at my food. I wasn't really hungry. Eventually, my mother noticed.

"Not hungry?" she poked my arm. "Thinking about something?"

"More like someone." I tried to be evasive, I couldn't tell her the truth. Not if I wanted to leave this conversation alive.

"Cute girl in class?" she tried and I cringed inwardly. My parents were so openly homophobic, I hadn't told them I was gay. But she was going to find out about the play anyway, so I decided to tell her. Not everything, just that I was a prince who fell for the evil villain.

I noticed her mouth turn into a terse line. "You'll have to kiss this boy? I'm not sure that-"

"No! We'll fake it, it's no problem," I quickly reassured her. "It's okay, I promise." I lied through my teeth.

I could tell she wanted to object, but she gave up. She was mean but I was stubborn. "Fine, as long as you're not uncomfortable," she said as if it was not her who objected to it. "Then, have fun, sweetheart. The girls will love this, I'm sure you'll find V.S after this." she beamed.

What if I already did and I already ruined it? I excused myself from the table and ran back upstairs. I stared as the ceiling fan went round and round. Virgil Sanders... I fell asleep seeing his eyes and his smile.