I Manage To Fluster Marilyn Morose- Roman

"And he's a foot away from me, with swoopy hair and shiny eyes that I could swim in."

Waking up the next morning was a struggle, considering my dreams were pleasant and full of Virgil. Not that the last thing had anything to do with it being hard to wake up. Oh, who am I kidding? The dreams were so nice and full of him really getting to know me. The real me, not the persona I put on whenever I stepped into the main school building. I hated my alarm clock now. Not a new feeling, but it gave me a new reason to shove it off my nightstand.

I got dressed fairly quickly, only pausing in front of my mirror. For a moment, I almost considered not covering up my initials, just to see what Virgil's reaction was. That was a horrible plan, I thought to myself, as I reached for the bottle of concealer. I quickly applied it without another thought. I grabbed an apple off the table and ran outside to meet Patton and Logan.

"Hey, Ro! Ready for your first rehearsal?" Patton smiled widely as I settled in the back.

"Yeah, I am." I tried to match his level of enthusiasm but I knew why he was really chipper. He wanted me to not be stressed about this whole thing with Virgil. The thought was really sweet, but after having dreams about him, I was more stressed than ever. I took a bite of the apple, hoping it would discourage Logan's questions for me. He stared at me for a moment before pulling out of my driveway.
——

Oddly enough, we had arrived at school at the exact same time as Virgil, Remus, and... I have got to learn his name. They were uncharacteristically silent and occasionally one of them turned to Virgil and offered a suggestion he quickly turned down.

"I could give you the notes for the days you missed," Yellow suddenly proffered. "You wouldn't have to fall behind."

Virgil waved his suggestion away. "I need to be in class, my mom would know. It's too late to go back now, we made the decision." So, they were talking about ways to get out of doing the play. Was I really that bad? I always thought I was a bit harsh but in a nice way! Maybe not.

Patton tapped my shoulder suddenly, jerking me back into my conversation. "You okay, Roman?" he began to turn around to see what I was staring at. I grabbed his shoulders and held him firmly there. He would start about the soulmates again if he saw I was looking at Gloomy Gus over there and that was the last thing I needed.

"Yeah, it's fine, let's hurry up." I took one last look back at the group before hurrying away. I could have sworn Virgil looked sad as I sped away.
——

I watched him covertly in every class period, and he was stubbornly not looking in my direction at all. As if he was trying to not look at me. That was just a little hope of mine. I couldn't have screwed it up so badly yesterday, there was a moment in Ms. Kleinman's room. Or maybe I was just delusional. Probably delusional.

What was going on? Why was I so set on him? A vague memory stirred of Logan talking about soulmates, not something he did often. It was his usual slew of facts but one phrase stuck out. Soulmates were drawn to each other and their own emotions could seem overtaken once they met. Did that mean...? No, of course not.

The last class bell rang, snapping me from my thought. Virgil and I stood up at the same time and finally, he looked at me with those gorgeous eyes again. As everyone left the room, I noticed Virgil stalling by the door, still sneaking glances at me. I looked at Logan and he nodded for me to go over there. I gulped and made my way over there. I wasn't used to being nervous.

"Did you want to walk to rehearsal together." Virgil spoke quickly before I could even say hi. He didn't say it like a question, more like a command he had decided to consult me on. And who was I to deny those eyes?

"Yeah, sure," I said, trying to act like my palms weren't heating up. Why were they sweaty? I wiped them down on the fronts of my jeans and looked up to see Virgil doing the exact same thing. His face dusted a light pink blush, which was so adorable I found myself blushing as well. This was maddening.

After a tense moment of silence, Virgil cleared his throat and walked out of the room. I hesitated for a moment before I heard Patton say, "What are you waiting for? Go after him!" I sprinted out after him and I heard Logan say, "What a fool. He'll be in love by the end of the week."

"Sorry." Virgil turned his head to the side a little and stared at my face, scrutinizing.

"What are you sorry for?" I was genuinely confused. I thought him incapable of apologizing.

He sighed. "You're really going to make me drag this out?" I started to respond but he cut me off. "I'm sorry for what I called you yesterday in the hallway. And for punching you." he shoved his hands deep into his hoodie's pockets and kept his expression neutral. "I didn't really mean it. It's just... this is kind of a lot."

"You didn't really need to apologize, I was out of line. But I appreciate you saying it anyways." I heard a small noise from behind me and it took all of my willpower to not turn around and tell Patton and Logan to walk farther away. It would look like they were hovering.

Virgil opened the door to the stage for me. "After you, Princey."

I smiled at him. Maybe this could work. "Princey?"

He shrugged, playing it off coolly. "Your last name is Princeton. Your role is a prince. It seemed like a good idea."

I grabbed his hand and pulled him close to me, leaning close enough to make him question a few things. "It was a wonderful idea, I'll only respond to that now," I purred. His face turned absolutely red and his breathing grew faster and more labored the longer I held him close to me. "You're looking a little red there, Robert Downer Jr. Are you quite alright?"

You may think that was too much. I'm only human. And the reaction was just perfect.

My voice must have spurred him out of his thoughts. "W-whatever, loser," he squirmed out of my grasp. He was still so flustered he couldn't come up with a proper response. "She's going to wonder where we are if we don't get in there."

"No matter, they can't start without us," I slyly took his hand again and he didn't try to get away this time. "So, shall we head in?" Virgil nodded shyly and I looked back to see Logan smirking and Patton mouthing, Smooth, Roman. I flashed them an innocent smile and dragged Virgil into the auditorium, his hand growing warmer by the second.