We Make Rules... Again- Virgil

"Maybe this time, for the first time, love won't hurry away."

Goddamn. This was not where I thought today was heading. I was so resolute in my position that Roman and I didn't need to be together. We could be lifelong friends. Soulmates didn't always end up together anyway. Have you ever seen La La Land? And then after he made Patton cry? I was on the warpath. But I saw him cry. And the next thing I knew, I was kissing him.

Granted, our first kiss had been a drunken mess, but I didn't really count that. In my mind, this was going to be our first kiss. And not to sound like an overwrought teenage wreck, but damn. He was a really good kisser. He was crying, and he was still good at this.

I didn't want to move away from him just yet, but my knees were so weak I had to take a step back and lean onto the table. I used one hand to stabilize myself but my other hand was cradling his neck. Roman kept a tight grip on my waist as our breathing synced into a soft pattern. My mind was almost numb and all I could think was, Roman, it's Roman, it's really him.

Eventually, our lips parted, but our bodies remained closed. We were both panting and I couldn't help but notice with some satisfaction the slight swell in his lips. He looked me up and down and let out a soft whistle.

"I'm sure if people knew how good you were," he whispered. "There would be lines to kiss you."

"Would you want there to be lines?" I asked.

"God, no." And just like that, we were back to where we started. I pulled him closer to me and he slipped his tongue into my mouth. I was surprised at first, but I relaxed when I remembered who it was and let him take control. If I could, I would have had us stay like that forever. But we were still high school students and we had to move away eventually.

(side note: the things we used to share just came on my Spotify and I just sat here while it played. and now that it's done, I can continue functioning as a human being)

"Before you say another word," I put a finger up to Roman. "We need to make rules."

"Is it just me or is there some serious deja vu happening here?" Roman teased.

"Just listen to me. We don't tell anyone about this," I counted off one of my fingers. "We don't need to deal with people's judgment."

"I can be okay with that." Roman agreed.

"Two," I counted off another finger. "We take this slow. And yes, technically we've gone as far as it gets, but this is a redo. We're starting over. For all intents and purposes, that was our first kiss."

"And it was a great one," Roman threaded his fingers through my hair. "I wouldn't mind another."

"Focus here, Roman." I snapped my fingers and ignored my blush. "We act like we always have around everyone else."

"Where's the fun in that?" he whined. God, he was so whiny, but it was kind of cute.

"It's not supposed to be fun, Roman, it's the smart thing."

"If I wanted to do the smart thing, I'd be talking toLogan. I want to do the fun, crazy, and just a little stupid thing."

"You already did that. That's kind of why we're in this situation," I argued, ignoring Roman's adorable stuttering. "But I have one last rule for you."

"Mhm?" Roman smiled.

"Don't lie to me or act like someone you're not when you're around me," I held onto his neck as I saw the smile slightly fade. "If this is going to work, it's going to be mutual helping each other. So, you're going to have to trust me. Okay?"

"Okay. I must say," he kissed the tip of my nose. "You really are too good for me, Sunshine."

"I could say the same for you." I moved up just a little and kissed him sweetly. I wanted to be with Roman more than anything, but I didn't want it to be forced. I wasn't going to tell him we were soulmates. If we were going to end up being truly in love, it was going to be because we wanted this, not because of some stupid marks on our faces.

"We have to go to class, you know." I pulled back, but Roman buried his face into my shoulder and groaned.

"Do we have to? I would rather stay here and be with you than go back and have to answer questions about chemistry and why I'm a jerk."

"I wish we could escape life that easy," I pushed him back and fixed my hair and jacket. "But people are going to start talking again."

"Ah yes, the rules I agreed to because I was distracted by those gorgeous eyes of yours," he similarly adjusted his outfit and sighed. "You've conned me."

"How ever will you manage?" I batted my eyelashes and when I saw him roll his eyes, I laughed and ran ahead of him, making my way back to class.

__ __

Remus was sitting next to Logan in science, both of them looking extremely uncomfortable. Patton sat on the desk in front of them, quietly letting tears slipping down his face as Dee whispered quiet reassurances to him. I knew Remus was useless in comfortable people and my guess was stoic Logan had already tried his best. Dee seemed to be doing okay, considering he was probably just lying to him.

"Virgil." Patton's head perked up when he saw me enter the room. "I hope you didn't yell at Roman too much. I don't know what happened... to him or me." the end of his mouth peaked as he tried to smile.

I chose my words carefully. "We talked. And we've come to an agreement. I don't think he'll be giving you anymore trouble."

Just as I spoke, Roman came into the room and headed directly for us. I made sure to avert my gaze and acted like I was mad at him.

"Patton, I'm so sorry. And Logan, I was so wr-" He started to apologize, but was cut off by Patton's bone-crushing hug.

"It's okay, kiddo. We're all a little tense." And just like that, Patton seemed fine. Logan gave him a grudging smile and that seemed like my cue to leave. Order had been, at least partially, restored.

I trudged to the other side of the room and slid into my seat with Dee and Remus in front of me. They were talking to me about something but I wasn't quite paying attention. I was distracted by Roman's stare and I could feel myself involuntarily smiling. Maybe this would work out for us. This time, it would go right.

__ __
IT'S STILL WEDNESDAY TECHNICALLY I HAVE 20 MINUTES BEFORE MIDNIGHT.

But yeah! Here we go, it's kinda cute and fluffy and wrapping up some of the angst from last chapter. Only some of it though. he he. Hope you liked it! My boys are cute and I love them. Take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals. Peace out!