We Are True Soulmates- Virgil

"You're just too good to be true, I can't take my eyes off you. You'd be like heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much."

I could barely keep my eyes open, I had never been so angry in my life. Did Roman really expect no reaction from me when he practically said there was no point for us? My thoughts were going faster than I could even process and the ringing in my ears kept getting louder and louder. I almost missed my cue line until a freshman bumped me from the back. I recognized her as Sarah, a relatively quiet girl.

"You okay?" she asked. "You're about to go on."

"Yeah, I'm fine." I shook out the excess energy building up and sighed. "On with the show, or whatever the hell the saying is," I said as I stepped out onto the stage, changing my stance. Roman looked at me with silent pleading eyes but I studiously ignored him and focused on the deliverance of my lines. It was easy considering my built-up spite.

The first act passed agonizingly slow. Each moment on stage took an eternity and each forced touch from Roman killed me. He always held on a second longer than he was meant to and I could feel my body burning to accept it. But I yanked away and began my persona of snark and sarcasm anew. I couldn't focus on my soulmate standing on the opposite side of the stage. If I wanted to, I would worry about him later, but this wasn't the time.

Roman almost ran to me as soon as the first act concluded but I slipped away and locked the door to the dressing room. He knocked on the door and I closed my eyes as I leaned my back on it.

"Virgil, love. Please say something. Anything." I could hear Roman on the other side, forced strength in his voice. Every time the sounds echoed in my head I could feel a piece of my mind chip away. "Just tell me you're okay." I remained silent. 10 minutes until the second act. I could wait this out.

There was quiet for a while until about 2 minutes later, the knocking started up again. "Leave me alone, Roman!" I yelled back.

"Um, it's Christine." I recognized the stage manager's voice. "There are some people from the audience asking to see you. They're not really meant to be back here but they were quite insistent. So can you just see them? You have the time." I facepalmed and unlocked the door.

"Yeah, I'm coming." I stepped out of the door and ignored Roman sitting nearby, opting to follow Christine to the door linking to the main school hallway. I had expected Dee and Remus but I hadn't counted on Patton's and Logan's presence. Patton ran to me immediately and wrapped me in another of his bone-crushing hugs.

"Kiddo, what happened?" Patton looked me in the eyes and then looked all over me, maybe looking for physical wounds? "Something's definitely wrong with you and Roman. We asked to see him too and he wouldn't do it. He always comes to see us during his intermission."

"Nothing much. I broke up with my soulmate is all." And the moment I admitted it, I broke down sobbing into Patton's arms. I forgot about the pretense of indifference and let myself come apart. Dee ran up to me and held me up from the back and whispered soft reassurances to me. Logan and Remus stood back, looking ready to commit bloody murder. They surged forward together and moved me back onto a stool. They all waited as I tried to compose myself.

"Tell us the whole story when you're ready," Logan said to me after whispering back to Remus, who ran off quickly. I took a few more deep breaths. I recounted each painful detail. Patton and Dee looked sympathetic while Logan looked enraged. "I'm going to kill that idiot." He mumbled as Remus came back and handed him my small palette and eyeshadow brush.

"What are you doing?" I asked when Logan opened the palette and inspected the shadows.

"In your distress, your makeup has come off. I'm reapplying it for you in the ... 5 minutes we have left until you have to be back on stage. You relax, I can handle this at least." He pushed my chin and softly moved the brush under my eye.