Chapter 10 - Breakdowns and revelations

---Will's POV---

"Thank you."

She hung up and I flung the phone away while I jumped in the car. My wolf was begging me to shift but the rational part of me realized that Kim would probably need a lift when I got there.

Growl after growl tore through my chest, overpowered by the roaring of the engine while I floored it, pressing the pedal to the floor in an attempt to get there sooner. I had been surprised when I had received a call from an unknown phone number and had slightly hoped it was Kim. But as soon as she spoke up, that hope had turned into anger and distress when I heard the pain in her voice.

"Is anyone of the pack around Kim's house?" I snarled through the link while I blasted through a red light, ignoring the car horns that beeped loudly. A glance in the mirror made sure that I didn't cause any accidents before I raced ahead.

"Yes, I am Alpha." One of the regulars, Mike, replied with a hesitation in his voice. "But...sir...you aren't going to like the...condition of your mate." He silently added, almost in a whimper. I clenched my teeth together when my wolf urged me to shift, growling annoyed when I saw that the steering wheel had indentations of my fingers in it.

"WHAT! Why, is she wounded?"

I saw the forest in the distance and drove onto the track before I parked the car sloppily to the side, leaving it running on stationary. Meanwhile, Mike seemed to be agitated.

"There are no physical wounds...but mentally..." he trailed off when I growled, shifting halfway to find her as quickly as possible. My claws dug in the soil while I dodged tree after tree until I spotted a blotch of white fur. The wolf turned around, his golden eyes filled with sadness before he lowered his head in respect.

"Where is she?" my wolf snarled, taking control. Mike pointed in her general direction with his nose before I darted away, with him close to my tail. Soon enough, the fresh forest scent made way for my mate's unique scent...tainted with the smell of tears and sorrow.

I weaved through the trees and jumped over a log before Kim came into view. And then I was glued to the ground.

Kim was sitting on the ground, leaning her head against her knees while she had her arms wrapped around them. Shivers ran through her body while I could hear her snivel and whimper; the sound was breaking my heart.

I shifted back and took a step closer, my eyes widening when I noticed the state she was in; cloths torn, her arms and legs scratched up and her curly hair was wild, all over the place with twigs and leaves poking out.

"Kim?" I said softly, my voice unconsciously soothing. Her head whipped up towards me, allowing me a view of her red, puffy eyes and tear streaked cheeks before she crawled up and ran towards me.

I caught her in my arms and pressed her against my chest, growling when I felt her shiver again; her bare arms were freezing! My instincts kicked in as I started rubbing my hands over her arms, my core temperature rising to provide more warmth for her. "Here, put this on." I said, my voice almost harsh with the pain and worries that I felt for her.

My eyes landed on Mike, who had quietly crept up behind his Luna while I shrugged my jacket out and handed it to Kim. "I want to know the reason of your Luna's distress and I want to know it now! Get to her house and find out!"

Mike inclined his head, his hunches rising while his golden eyes were trained on the blood that was trickling down of a scrape on her elbow. And then he was gone, darting away in the opposite direction.

"T-t-tha-anks." Kim muttered through her shivering jaws while she quickly put the jacket on. As soon as it was zipped up, I pulled her in my arms, ignoring the fact that I was half naked now. My anger tampered slightly while I looked at her face before I sighed and placed a kiss against her forehead.