Chapter 21 - Blind human or blind wolf?

---Will's POV---

It was still a few hours after we left the dining room but it felt like days. Kim has been reacting normally so far, her temperature slightly rising but... On one end, I was overjoyed that she was turning into a wolf; on the other hand, I wanted to kick myself for even suggesting this, every time she let out a soft whimper.

Pain was a natural thing during the transition but each time she squirmed in discomfort or gritted her teeth, I loathed myself. Kim had already been through so much and I was adding more pain to it.

Kim's reactions so far were normal during this face of the transition: her core temperature has risen slightly due to the presence of the inner wolf and she was having a slight fever now, along with the steadily expanding muscle aches. I sighed softly while dabbing a wet cloth over her face, giving her some reprieve.

"Relax William, everything is normal and she might be able to see when all this is over. I know it's a long shot but it's still a possibility." My wolf spoke softly as he was pacing in my head. I shook my head at myself when Kim rolled to her side, curling her lip up to hiss in pain.

"I know but still, I can't help but wonder if this is really worth it..." I muttered, smiling despite the inner turmoil when I saw that her canines were already longer. A soft knock on the door resounded through the room but I didn't look away from my mate, only slightly sitting to the side so that Kim was hidden from view.

It was instinct; my mate was in an incredibly vulnerable position, which pushed my wolf to protect her from anyone or anything entering the room. The smell that wafted towards me indicated that Dad was entering the room. A low growl vibrated through my chest as he stepped closer to the bed.

"How is she? It looks like her wolf is making her presence known." He chuckled in amusement when Kim growled softly in response to my own growl. I managed a weak chuckle as she rolled to her side, unconsciously coming closer to me and rolling away from dad.

"Yeah, I think she'll be shifting in another hour or so..." I mused, twisting my upper body slightly to finally look at my father. His eyes were narrowed in thought as he tilted his head to the side before reaching out towards her. Just before his fingers made contact, he stopped and looked at me, silently asking for permission to measure her pulse.

His eyes closed in concentration before he nodded, "Any moment now. She'll be fine William, no matter what happens." He stared meaningful in my eye before continuing, "If she can't see, don't let her become depressed; reassure her that no matter what, you'll be there for her."

I growled lowly, glaring at him for a second before averting my eyes when he answered the growl, slowly standing up. Even though I was mad at his comment, he still was the Alpha.

"Even the thought of ever leaving her alone repulses me, so don't suggest that I'd do such a thing." I snarled, glaring at a spot above my dad's head. He grumbled something under his breath before nodding slowly.

"I understand but that doesn't mean that I like it, nor is it repeatable Will. My wolf won't tolerate any challenges and you know it." Dad spoke in a soft, controlled voice although I caught glimpses of his canines, along with the burning golden eyes of his wolf. I nodded my head and apologized, "Sorry for being disrespectful but I can't tolerate that you suggested that I would neglect or ignore her."

It wasn't something that wolves would do. Wolves mated for life, they were loyal to a fault. To suggest otherwise rubbed the wolf the wrong way and was instantly taken as an insult.

He smiled, understanding shining from his eyes but when he opened his mouth to answer, probably accepting my apology, a loud snap rang through the room. My head spun from how fast I swiveled around, seeing Kim lying on the bed, slowly shifting for the first time. Her teeth were clenched together as she breathed through them, her breaths coming out in short hisses of pain.