Chapter 24 - Lost in darkness

---Will's POV---

The silence in the packhouse was deafening, though the room was rather crowded. Everyone just stayed silent, trying to keep out of dad's way as he was pacing side to side beside the large windows, fuming silently to himself.

By the time Kim and I had made it to our home, Dad had contacted us to let us know that Carlos had managed to slip away. How, we didn't know, though Dad suspected it was simply because he had went through several rivers and streams, washing his scent away until dad couldn't pick it up anymore.

So right now, he was extremely angry; angry at the fact no-one knew how the rogues had managed to sneak into our territory without being noticed and mostly, angry at himself. He blamed himself for not capturing Carlos, especially when he noticed that Kim had grown silent at the news.

I sighed before walking up to my dad, ignoring the warning glances from the people in the room. "Dad, come on, snap out of it. Okay, he got away this time but he's all alone now. We got his friends and surely we can get some information out of them."

A repressed snarl escaped his mouth while his hands curled into fists, shaking with the force it took to calm down. Eventually he opened them up again with a sigh, his breathing calming down again.

His eyes found mine and he smiled warmly, gratitude shining from his gaze. "You're right; we got a step further instead of backwards and everyone is okay, so I should be grateful." Mom grasped his shoulder gently before leaning against his side as he pulled her closer, pushing his nose into her hair to calm down completely with the help of her scent.

"I'm going to question them right away and you," He stopped, opening his eyes to shoot a look at me over mom' s head, "You're going to stay with your mate and calm her down. Her wolf must have taken over as soon as she realized that you were in danger and she might have some issues with that..."

My eyes widened at the thought, because I hadn't thought that far ahead, before I nodded and instantly rushed up the stairs. I knew Kim had slipped back to our room, saying that she didn't like the anger floating from my dad; It reminded her to much about her parents.

Now I felt guilty to leave her alone to talk to my dad.

"You went down here to calm him down because you knew it was upsetting Kim. You were helping our mate." My wolf reassured me, though his thoughts were concerned as well. A smile slipped on my lips as I opened the door to my bedroom, because I could sense his eagerness to be with his mate, and his pride for Kim and her wolf defending us.

"Of course I'm proud; she leapt on him and helped us out when we were in danger. She reacted instinctively and I could feel their worry and love for us." He wagged with excitement while I chuckled, opening the door completely before I smiled as I saw Kim sitting in the middle of the bed, playing around with the covers.

Her lips tugged up in a smile as her green eyes flickered upwards, moving left and right in a rapid motion to try and see me. They eventually settled on a point not too far beside me, probably because the light was shining through the windows at an angle.

My smile grew a bit sad but I chuckled and shook my head, knowing that I should be glad she was gaining something, anything at all of her sight. At least she was able to detect something.

Kim laughed softly and shook her head before tilting her head back, allowing her hair to flow over her shoulder and down on her back. "Does your wolf talk often to you?" She inquired curiously, blinking a few times before she scooted a bit to the side so I could sit beside her.

"Depends on the situation...If I'm in trouble, he'll often scold me or laugh at me." I laughed, hearing my wolf snort for a moment before he chuckled as well. "It's like having a permanent friend around you, someone who stands by you and helps you through hard times."