Chapter 26 - Setting the plan in motion

---Will's POV---

Leah refused to speak or even look at her father after that. After Luna Lyra gently talked with the girl, they both went to the living room without a backwards glance. My eyes were still pinned on the man that was the cause of this mess, watching the broken expression on his face before he took a deep, shivering breath.

"Ugh, Chris...you really messed up." He muttered to himself, rubbing a hand over the back of his head in a clear sign of distress. Ryan was glaring at the human before glancing back to the direction his mate disappeared in before he let out a disgruntled growl.

"Since it seems you're responsible for this mess, I suggest you start explaining quickly." The Alpha grunted, crossing his arms as he leaned with his hip on his desk. My eyes were focused on the human, unconsciously glaring at the man as I held Kim tightly against me.

Chris sighed deeply, rubbing his face tiredly. "Look, this isn't easy to explain." He muttered, as if trying to excuse himself. Instead, Ryan scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Then make it easy."

The human glared upwards but quickly averted his eyes, scowling at his feet. "When I was younger, I fell in love with a girl. Beautiful looks, even better personality and the greatest smile I've ever seen." Chris smiled, eyes growing distant as if he was stuck in the past.

Ryan caught my look with a frown on his face. What did his past love life have anything to do with Carlos being a crazed and rejected werewolf? Shuffling my weight, I didn't even need to question the man as he continued with his story, slowly unraveling why he disliked our species so much.

"When I had asked her to be my boyfriend, she had hesitated before revealing herself as a werewolf." He snorted with amusement. "I told her I loved her even if she was a bit fussier than the regular woman. For me, it didn't matter if she was able to sprout fur or grow a tail. Evelyn was the woman I loved, the woman I wanted to marry."

He sighed, leaning back in his seat. "So, three years later in our relationship, I proposed and she accepted. We were married for seven years and Leah was just about two when everything changed."

"You see, Evelyn never explained the mating part of your kind. For all I knew, I was her mate and she was happy with our little family. She was but one day she simply came home and told us straight faced that she found her real mate and realized she was living a lie.

Leah and I had watched as she took her bags and left without one backwards glance to live happily ever after, not caring that she ripped my heart out, destroying me beyond repair." Chris stopped, clearing his throat several times as if to stop the tears glimmering in his eyes from rolling down, nearly choking on a sob that slipped out.

The whole room was silent; several of the present wolves shaking their heads at the disgusting way Evelyn had handled the situation. It was already frowned upon in our society to inform a human that wasn't our mate.

Werewolves could marry a human if they wished so, but it was advised only for those wolves that had lost their mates. Because these situations would keep occurring if unmated wolves formed serious relations with unknowing humans.

But to hear about the callousness of one single she-wolf and having first hand experienced the damaging aftermath of her actions was stunning.

Chris managed to regain some of his control and managed to stutter, "S-so I've switched from happily married husband to a stay at home single dad who tried to make ends meet. Leah especially had a rough time, always inquiring about her mother and wanting to meet her."

"Have you ever..." one of the wolves started hesitantly, stilling as Chris' red rimmed eyes landed on the man. "Have I ever heard from my wife again? Only to let me know that she gave up all rights to her daughter and that she had signed the papers. Nothing ever since."