Chapter 27 - Heart-wrenching reunion

---Kim's POV---

My stomach rolled with nerves, fur tingling with anticipation as Will was pacing angrily back and forth. He had wanted to accompany me to the safe house and hide in the forest, to keep a close eye on me in the case that Carlos got too close.

Eying my mate with an amused smile, I remembered his anger when he was told he couldn't follow through with his little plan. The risk of Carlos scenting him was too high; if we wanted the plan to work, subtlety was key.

"I know, I know." Will grunted as he rubbed a hand through his hair, slightly tugging the strands. "I just don't like it one bit. What if he gets too close to you? Maybe he already suspects something and goes in for the kill or-"

I stopped him by standing up, quickly stepping forwards and into his embrace as he kneeled down and buried his face in my fur. "I know Will but all of that isn't going to happen. Your father has made sure that I have plenty of escape routes if something goes wrong and you know as well as I do that you along with several other wolves will be tracking our every move."

Will sighed shakily, nodding as I nuzzled his chin. His fingers gently rubbed through my fur as he sat down and smiled. "You're right." He flashed me a wider smile, eyes twinkling mischievously. "You're always right."

Lifting my nose in the air with a huff, I teasingly pawed against his chest. "Damn right I am." I teased, making us both laugh, the once tense atmosphere broken. Eventually we calmed down and Will tugged my muzzle closer until we were nose to nose.

"Promise me that you'll be careful? If there's something, anything that isn't right or seems suspicious, please..." He sighed deeply, closing his eyes as he rests his head against mine. "I wouldn't know what to do if I lost you."

I nuzzled closer with a whimper coming from my wolf, the thought of even losing Will was too painful to mention. We stood like that for a while before Will placed a loving kiss on top of my head and ruffled lovingly through my fur.

"So, dad asked me to make sure you know what to do. We have a safe house ready up North, where Leah is already settling in, awaiting Carlos' arrival along with a few Enforcers to make sure nothing bad will happen to either of them."

Nodding once at Will to show I was listening, his eyes hardened slightly as he continued to explain the plan, hating the fact that I was getting rather close to Carlos in the process. "Our resources told us that Carlos is hovering, following your old trails so we're going to make use of that."

Will's fingers were slowly rubbing through my fur, draining the last bits of tension out of my muscles. "We know his general location and had some members of our pack run through the woods, mentioning that you had an assignment early today. Its risky, but I think Carlos won't be thinking clearly and take the bait."

Hmmm, it was kind of obvious but...if the pack was subtle about it and simply talked about my paintings and school, they might've fooled him.

"It's time." The Alpha's voice rang through my head and judging from the sudden tenseness in Will's muscles, he heard the message as well. His arms squeezed tighter around me before he released me with a disgruntled huff.

He didn't speak but I could clearly see the worry in his eyes as they fluttered over my form before giving me a pointed look. I nodded softly to answer his silent plea to be careful and then walked out of the room with him closely behind me.

Ten minutes later, I was seemingly alone in the thick forest, a small backpack in my mouth while I trotted through the forest. My ears twitched at every small sound, nostrils flaring to make sure I knew of Carlos' presence before he found me.