Chapter 23 - They're back

---Carlos POV---

It took my men ages to do something very simple yet they had been gone for days now, never responding to any of my calls when I tried to contact them through our shared pack mind. I was pacing through the forest, the remaining men all squatted down around the fire, obviously knowing that they shouldn't get anywhere near me.

I could almost smell their fear, could see their muscles tensing up whenever I moved. Acting like a cornered prey, prepared to flee at a moment's notice. A sneer pulled on my lips at the thought.

One of them, my right-hand, was observing my movements before he stood up. "Look boss, it's obvious that either they chickened out and ran off or they were found and captured by another pack. What the rest of us need right now is a plan of action."

My wolf snarled through me, using my body and voice as his own. "You really think I hadn't figured that out yet, pup?" My body tensed, the muscles around my neck and shoulders coiling slightly as I paused my feet to glare at the male a few feet away. He had once been my best friend, that much I could remember but that was a long time ago.

Right now, he didn't seem that much intimidated as he just sighed and held his hands in the air, a sign of surrender and submission. "Look Carlos, you lost about four men, the others got away before the pack wolves got on the scene. Let's just send someone there to collect some scents and find out where Kim is hiding."

That appeased my wolf slightly, as I thought everything over before slowly nodding. Gregory had a point...we could use this situation to our advantage. Kim's scent was still lingering around, waiting for us to find it. Once we did, it would be easy to follow it to where she was.

I nodded slowly and snorted slightly as the other three let out a sigh of relief. My wolf was very much in control these days and they knew better than to go against him. With a snarl, I exploded in my grey-brown wolf before heading down to where the others were last seen.

My men were all running in front of me, obviously eager to point me, or rather my growing anger, in the right direction as they scurried towards the mall. Once we arrived in the forest behind the human village, we all shifted before we made our way to the shopping facility.

The humans that were shopping were irritatingly loud and annoying but they all scattered away from us as soon as we stepped inside. It seemed that those people knew when they needed to back away.

I took a deep breath and sniffed the air, following the scent of my men towards a more silent hallway, where the scents mingled with those of three females and three males. My lungs filled themselves again and again until I was sure of what I smelled.

"Seems like the rogue betrayed us. He never came back so I figured he was captured too but no...he came willingly." I stooped down with Gregory a few feet to the side, doing the same as he placed a hand on the floor, waving the scent up towards his face.

"Kim had been here! Right on this spot, along with another female that smells like her...probably family." He clarified once I pushed him away with a snarl and inspected the scent for myself.

He was right...the same scent that clung around Ivan's was also lingering around the faintly familiar scent of Kim. A cruel smirk slipped on my face, knowing that I got the trail that I wanted along with a way to get back to that traitor. The new scent obviously was his mate.

"Uhm, sir? There are two scents of pack wolves here and the scent of the others is being suppressed by the scent of even more wolves. Do you think she has found the protection of a pack?" A low rumble escaped my throat as I walked towards the spot where the man was standing and shoved him aside.