Chapter 25 - An eye opener

---Will's POV---

Running through the woods was amazing and usually calmed my wolf down, pulling me back to the most basic emotions and sensations. It was an opportunity to experience the world in its most simple and beautiful form.

But right now, all I could think about as my paws hit the dirt over and over again was Carlos. There must've been a reason why his mate rejected him, especially if he was completely different to what he is now.

A yelp slipped from my lips as teeth nipped at my tail and yanked playfully before a pale gold wolf darted past, wagging her tail. I shook my head before I started to chase Kim through the rest of the wolves.

She let out a playful yip and growled as she bumped into Katherine. Yeah, she shifted too and was now a beautiful light grey wolf with darker tufts around her ears, muzzle and tip of her tail. The she-wolf was now grumbling and running after my mate while the others chuckled and watched them playing around.

Dad had sent us ahead with a small part of the pack to the territory of the new Alpha pair, Ryan and Lyra. I hadn't heard much of them but thanks to my uncle and one of his right hands, Malcolm, I was informed that Lyra was a former rogue and they would be rather protective, since they had a litter of yearling pups.

The thought of pups made me look back at Kim as she rolled around with Kath, growling and nipping before she scrambled back on her paws to follow the pack. We were too young to think about having kids, but...it wasn't too bad to think of the future, I suppose.

"We're closing in on pack-lands Alpha Will. They're awaiting our arrival." Malcolm said politely as he slowed down a bit, signaling the other wolves to do the same. I didn't like it but it was custom to let the Alpha pair travel in the front of the group.

Kim's tail was wagging a mile a minute as she took her place beside me, slowing down to a trot as we spotted a couple of black and brown wolves waiting at the edge of a forest. I had to slow down to avoid the rocky cliffs to our side before we shifted to greet the wolves.

"Greetings Alpha Will and welcome to Black Ridge territory." One of the men said as he spread his arms in a welcoming gesture, the gray wolf beside him snorting towards him before she rolled her eyes as he scowled down at her. "I'm not acting dramatic, its custom to greet the alpha-pair with respect Anna!" He hissed under his breath before the she-wolf shifted.

"Don't mind him, he's had a stick up his ass the moment Ryan promoted him to Gamma. I'm Anna, this dumbass here is my mate Eric and since I know you guys are in a hurry, we'll guide you to the packhouse instead of wasting air and precious time to ceremony and tradition." Anna said with a wink in our direction, leaving the elder wolves of my pack slightly baffled while Kim and Katherine both chuckled and wagged their tails.

Eric stared at his mate before he shook his head and shifted into his dark brown wolf, nudging the smaller gray one to get moving. I chuckled to myself and followed their example before running after them.

Their territory did earn its name by the countless of ridges, mountains, hills and cliffs that spanned a rather large side of the southern end of their home. There were plenty of animals and other wildlife in the forests and several plains spread out, a rather ideal place to settle as a pack.

Kim stayed close with me as we followed the darker wolves up to a rather large house, where Eric shifted back, grumbling to himself as his mate shook her head and beat him at the door, knocking first before she pushed the doors open and let us in.

"Not to be rude but I can't let everyone in; the Luna's pups are still in their wolf form and she'll respond instantly if they feel threatened. So it's best to keep it at four people, and that's pushing it." Anna explained politely as she eyed the group of twelve wolves around her.