Chapter 18 - Son on the loose

---Will's POV---

Waking up in the morning to lay eyes on my mate was still something that blew my mind away. I watched her with slightly hazy sight before I blinked a couple of times to focus my sight. Kim had fallen asleep in my arms yesterday after the whole ordeal so I had carried her to our room and decided to just call it a day and joined her under the covers.

I rolled more on my side before I scooted closer, brushing the hairs out of her face. She murmured something in her sleep and nuzzled my hand, making me purr lowly before I placed a kiss on her forehead and sneaked out of the bed. After the whole scene yesterday, I figured she deserved a long day in bed.

Yawning, I slipped out of the bed and quickly went through my morning routine before I walked downstairs after I had slipped on some sweats and rubbed over my neck. When I entered the living room, I nearly ran into a half dressed Ivan, who instantly stepped back as he watched me intently.

Ivan's first impression was of a real, wild wolf, trapped in a cage; he was jittery, eyes constantly looking around as he kept his back to one person only: his mate. Karen was snoozing on the couch where she and Ivan had cuddled together last night and probably fell asleep. Karen had helped Ivan with choosing for the pack instead of his rogue life but it would be a huge thing to adapt to.

I smiled and gave him a warm nod, showing I understood his jumpy behavior although my wolf didn't like it but even he understood why Ivan didn't trust others. Who knew how long he had been a rogue and how many pack wolves have chased after his tail? Ivan's dark eyes flashed slightly before they lightened up slightly, even more so when he looked at a sleeping Karen, huddled up in a blanket.

"I ought to thank you for letting me be with her. Most of the pack wolves I know would have used her against me to get what they wanted." His eyes turned golden for a split second before they went back to his hazel color before he sighed and squeezed his eyes shut, pinching his nose bridge in the process.

"I'm not used to all this shit; I've been a rogue for as long as I can remember, the pack had all but been massacred by other rogues and I wasn't accepted in any other packs, so I fended for myself. Then those cunts destroyed my camp, ate my food and attacked me before I kicked their asses." He growled in the end, shaking his head, "Looking back now, I should have killed them while I had the chance."

My wolf was happy to hear that, knowing that this wolf was loyal to those he loved and protected and wasn't a rogue because of past actions but because of circumstance. I frowned slightly and growled deep in my throat before I curled my fingers, signaling him to follow me towards the pile of files.

He hesitantly did so, looking over his back towards Karen before he stepped up beside me. I searched through the pile until I found what I was looking for and flicked the picture of Carlos in front of Ivan's nose. "Do you know this guy? Was he with the others?"

Ivan concentrated on the picture, his eyes flashing gold again before he curled his nose up in distaste. "Yeah, he was there, briefly. He was the one sitting high and mighty in the midst of my destroyed encampment with a cocky smirk stuck on his face. Apparently, he," he said, tapping a finger on Carlos' picture, "Was going to find out if they could be helped by their pack like a few years ago."

A few years ago.... they helped him a few years ago.

My wolf snarled and growled in my mind as we realized that his pack had covered everything up for the authorities. After all, Carlos and his men were sent to a human prison, not a werewolf one. They must have used their pack to keep it hidden.

A snarl exploded from my mouth as I started pacing through the kitchen, the hairs in the nape of my neck growing longer when my wolf clawed its way closer to the surface. Ivan had backed off towards his mate, crouching down in front of her with his back towards Karen, eying me warily.