Chapter 1 (pre-NaNo)

NB:  This chapter was written before NaNoWriMo 2019

Motionless, I stood on the porch holding a soggy red dress and watched Jace walk down the garden path and out of my life. He kept going, moving further away and I was powerless to stop him. My eyes began to well up and he faded out in a blur like the closing of a film.

"Kya!" Mum called.

Hearing my name made me gasp with the pain of my heartache. My shoulders slumped as I closed the front door. I wasn't ready to face anyone so I escape up to my bedroom.

I passed the string of Christmas cards, hung proudly in the stairwell, showing anyone who visited how popular and loved our family is. I glowered at them and gave the thread at the top a tug, pulling it free, and watched the folds of cardboard slide away to the floor; undone and depleting into a mess. I was alone and the cards seemed insignificant, their thoughtful meaning lost and defaced into a mocking joke.

I stepped onto the gallery landing. Hung on each bedroom door was a cheap-and-cheerful, plastic happy Christmas picture. The large room on the right was my parents and their door was adorned with a 'ho ho ho' and a picture of Santa. On the left was my brother Murray's room and on his door was a picture of a beaming reindeer and the phrase 'jingle bells'. My room was in the far left corner, next to the bathroom and was the smallest room in the house. The small room had always irritated me but tonight it felt fitting. On my door was an image of a fairy with the words 'Magical Christmas' written in a pretty italic font.

I ripped the plastic decoration from my door and tossed it in a destructive manner across the hall. I wanted to rip them all down! I didn't feel like laughing or singing and I certainly wasn't having a magical fucking Christmas! I flung the door open and, with the same force as the venom festered inside me, I slammed it shut behind me.

I'm not a Scrooge!

I don't hate the Christmas holidays.

In fact, normally, I love the over-the-top extent my mum goes to ensure we all enjoy the celebrations. I love choosing gifts, wrapping them up and placing them under the tree and I get more excited thinking about the recipient opening them than I do about receiving my own. I look forward to baking mince pies with mum and the big roast dinner on Christmas Day with all the family around. But, right now, I didn't feel like me; a part of me had died and the rest of me, that somehow survived the heartache, didn't like what was left.

Throwing the carrier bag, that contained the soggy red dress I had lent Mariah, to the corner of my room, I hit the power switch on my stereo. I didn't care what came on as I cranked the volume up wanting the sort of peace and quiet that comes from the peace that my family can't hear my suffering and the noise that drowns out the sound of my own thoughts. I flung myself back on my bed without care for myself – nothing could hurt as bad as this. My eyes bore up at the ceiling.

I wouldn't cry! I vowed to myself. No boy would ever make me cry!

I rolled over and buried my head in my pillow. I took a deep breath and let it all out in one pitiful scream. Screaming until I was out of breath but I didn't feel much better, I was still angry at Jace.

I reached for my mobile and bashed out a text to all my friendship group. They were going to find out sooner or later and I'd much rather tell it once. A text message was far less personal than telling them face to face and I liked how it kept me separated from them. It was easier to stay in control of my emotions this way.

Kya: I got dumped for Christmas.

Almost as soon as it was sent my phone rang. I almost cringe at the irritating Christmas song I had chosen when I had been in high spirits. I checked the screen to see who was calling, whilst I answered to shut up Mariah Carey, "Hi Fallon."