Chapter 13

"Kya!" Someone called my name. Someone externally from in my mind. It pulled me out and I gasped as from the shock of pain as I returned to this cruel reality. I no longer felt welcome in this world.

The choices. I thought about them. Should I die to be reborn. To escape this existence where I am judged and hated by everyone dear to me. To get a second chance, to wipe the slate clean, to start over as a better version of myself. The dying part scared me but the option sounded incredibly appealing.

The alternative was to fight them and be killed. I had already experienced their relentless attacks and I could tell this was nothing in comparison of what they could do to me. They were just flexing their muscles, giving me a taste of their power, a chance to consider the destruction that possibly awaited me. Everything pinned on my choice.

I had a choice. The more I thought about the less joining them sounded like a bad choice. I knew in my heart that if I fought them, even if by some freak turn of events I managed to beat them, I didn't want to win. I am so defeated by life I am ready to sacrifice everything.

My eyes drifted open and as I look across the grass plane I saw my brother. It was his voice that had awoken me from the internal dialogue with the other voice. He embraced Mariah as they shared a passionate kiss. My heart broke. It was always her. She was everywhere. Every guy that mattered to me was infatuated with her. He could see I was being attacked and yet he chose this moment to make out with the girl that had ruined my life. It felt like only yesterday she was flaunting her romance with Jace. Had he meant nothing to me. I felt the anger boiling up inside my like lava, filling my veins. I was too weak to get up and scream at him to get off her. I had to words powerful enough to destroy her. I felt so hopeless.

She was a witch! That was the only explanation. There had always been rumours at school about her odd mum. She told fortunes at halloween events using a crystal ball, she claimed the cakes they baked were infused with magic to bless the union. The most bizarre part of all was that she was here now too. Watching Mariah and Murray kiss. As they let go, what looked like stars spun around them slowly. Like tiny fireflies rising up to the sky, forming what looked like a rose in the sky. Even this wasn't happening or Mariah was using magic.

I had never believed in magic before. I always thought it was trickery. But, enough bizzare things happened since Christmas that only magic and creatures of the night made sense.

I closed my eyes, shutting out the trio. They were the real enemy. Mariah had taken my boyfriend, now she was enchanting my brother and I could not stop her. I turned my attentions inward. Searching for the deep voice, that gave me impossible choices but soothed my pains and made me feel safe. He could help me.

"Kya, are you ready?" His voice filled my mind and I knew we once again connect.

But, someone was pulling my conscious away. I felt gentle hands brushing my skin, moving my hair behind me ear. I could smell them close and familiar, it was Murray. His fingers ran over my cuts and ignited the pain. What was he doing? Why wouldn't he leave me alone. I wanted to go. I want to be with the voice. I coiled up tighter, trying to shut him out. Trying to return to the voice to tell him my decision.

My eyes were shut tight but when I heard him again, I sense he was outside my mind. "Gwyn you know better than to meddle in our laws." I opened my eyes to see a man that oozed power standing close by. He was a dark figure from the colour of his skin to the clothes he was wearing. Where once pink had been my colour, now, black sang to my soul.

"The girl is innocent. There has been a mistake." My focussed turned to Mariah's mother. Her loose clothing billowing in the wind.

"We make no mistakes. She is outs." I smiled at the sound of his voice. He knew me like no other. I hadn't even answered him and he knew I was already his.