Chapter 9

Mum frowned as I crossed the car park with Murray and entered the cafe. Murray and I sat at one of the tables by the door and waiting until mum was free to come over. She glared at me as leaned forward and towards the table and whispered, "What are you doing out of school?"

"Kya is feeling the wrath of her lies." Murray answered for me.

"Fallon and I have fallen out." I sulked.

Mum gave Murray a disapproving look, "Bunking off isn't the right thing to do."

"Sorry," We both mumbled.

"Wait here, I'll get you an ice-cream float." Mum returned to the counter and made our drinks. The cafe was quiet. I guess mid week wasn't a busy time.

"Are you going to tell her? It'll sound better coming from you." Murray prompted.

"Tell her what?"

"The compulsive lying."

"I wasn't lying. I really did cut my hand."

Murray grabbed me roughly by the wrist, pulling my hand up to my face, "Does it look cut to you?"

When he let go, my hand dropped to the table. I didn't want to tell mum. I was worried what it meant and telling her would make it real. That I was crazy. "Please, leave it. I'll sort myself out."

"Boy, getting dumped really messed you up."

I nodded. Mum placed the drinks in front of us. She'd caught the tail end of what Murray had said, "Are you still heartbroken over that boy."

I stirred my drink with the straw. Was that what this was. My minds coping method to deal with the pain of Jace. Instead of feeling it I was visualising it as injuries. First, my stomach had been ripped open, now my palm had been cut and the only similar thing was that I actually hadn't been hurt at all. My skin wasn't broken. It was perfectly intact.

Mum brushed my hair from my face and behind my ear, causing me to look up. "There's someone better for you. Someone you haven't met yet." Her words felt like a warm blanket on a cold winter's night, like a candle in the dark. She filled me with warmth and hope. It was the safety and security I had craved from Nate but hadn't been fulfilled. It was my mum. I could feel my walls crumbling in an undignified way that Fallon would have cursed me for. I could feel myself unravelling and hot tears burning down my face. I tried to hide my face behind my hands. My mum pulled her chair next to mine and pulled me into her arms. I could smell the grease from the morning breakfasts on her clothes but underneath I could smell the soothing scent of lavender and neroli which was my mum. "There, there" she soothed.

I tried to speak. To apologise for making a spectacle of myself. But the sound came out as garbled nonsense. Mum kissed my head and as if she had understood she said, "It's okay. You and him had something real. Maybe he wasn't smart enough to know how lucky he was but you did. And you will get that again. You will experience it with someone that recognises it and gives it back to you. This I promise."

She hugged me and rubbed my back. When I finally sat up ready to breathe, Murray handed me some napkins to blot my tear stained face.

"Take her home," Mum said to Murray, "I've got to work but," She turned back to me, "I'll let the school know you are unwell." Mum winked, "And, I'll cook your favourite tonight."

"Really?" Shepards pie wasn't quick to make.

Mum nodded, "Yeah, it's quiet here so I'll make prep it between orders so I only have to stick it in the oven when I get home. And, I think we need to plan some mother and daughter time. How about some retail therapy?"