Chapter 17

I crept into the room, shutting the door quietly behind me. Morgan hadn't mentioned any secret rooms in her tour and I wondered whether she or any of the others knew about this. As I got closer, I looked through the entrance and saw there were stone steps leading down. It had the look of an old castle. I could hear voices below. Cronus wasn't alone. I heard a woman scream followed by an oomph like she had received a heavy impact. I heard crying and mumbles. They were too far away to make out what they were saying. There was a clang of metal followed by footsteps getting louder. I couldn't be here. I mustn't be found. I tiptoed out of the room and gently closed the door behind me. Once out, I let our a heavy breath I hadn't realised I had been holding. My heart was pounding in my chest but the danger wasn't over yet.

I saw the door handle move and quickly I began to make a move. I had to slow myself down so I didn't look obvious. With the glass windows looking into the quad the corridors were open. I knew as soon as Cronus stepped out the door, he would see me. And, I had to pray I didn't look guilty of snooping.

"Kya!"

His voice froze me in my tracks. I turned slowly keeping my face to the floor. I felt as if he had caught me. "Cronus."

It was barely two strides for him to catch me up with his long legs. "Are you lost?"

"Yes," I beamed too enthusiastically. I quickly feigned a look of worry. Trying to look sad with big wide eyes, "I have no idea where my room is."

Cronus smirked almost as if he was amused by my dramatic performance, "Let me show you, little chick. It is late and you will need your strength for tomorrow."

"What's the plan for tomorrow?"

"I need to go over the full transmission. Your change isn't yet final. There is one last challenge. I must get you home so you can sit your exams. Then you can return," He smirked at me as he did air quotes, "For college."

"I love it here." It sounded refreshing to be so honest. Scotland was a million miles away from my troubles. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay here and party with my new family.

"You have an eternity to enjoy." He pushed open the door to my room and entered with me. "Tonight, you must sleep."

My fingers reached out for his, "Can you stay?"

He frowned, "What do you mean?"

I blushed as I thought of Nate and the way he had comforted me when I was broken. So much had happened and changed, I just wanted someone to hold me. I patted the bed, "Stay with me."

Cronus laughed, a deep rumbling sound that filled me up with a need to be part of it but his words crushed me, "I don't think so."

He went to leave the room but I reached out for his hand, "Is there someone else?"

"No," He shook his head, "I just don't do that." With that he went. He was so good looking it felt bizzare that he was not interested in anyone else. Then I remembered the crying lady in the hidden room. He might say there was nobody but I had heard her and I was going to see her. I waited a few minutes to be sure that Cronus had gone before sneaking back downstairs but when I reached the door it was locked. I pulled and shook the handle, hoping by some miracle it would give way and let me in. I had to know who she was and why Cronus kept her hidden from everyone else. If I was going to unlock this secret, then I would need to get the key and get down there before we leave tomorrow.

I returned to my room feeling a bit defeated. I had to get in that secret room but first sleep.

I had forgot to shut the curtains and woke to sunlight streaming in and a knock at my door. I got up to see who it was and Morgan stood there with a tray. It had a glass of orange juice and toast. "There's more downstairs but I thought you might like a little something to get you going. I wasn't sure how you were feeling today."