Chapter 19

It felt like stepping back in time when I walked into school. Nothing had changed, yet, I was no longer the girl from last week. The taunts and sniggers didn't bother me, they were about someone else. They now sounded childish and beneath me.

As I marched down the corridor I took pleasure in waving my hand down by my side and watching doors open and close, knocking those that dared to mock me. I kept my head dipped, conscious over the fact that I had to conceal my eyes.

I swapped books in my locker and heard some refer to me as the Oscar Queen. Hiding behind my door, I took glee in their books shooting out their locker and catching her in the jaw. My aim was slightly off and one book hit her friend but it served her right for laughing.

I headed to my form room for morning registration. My eyes zoned in on Jace. I kicked myself for the way my heart fluttered. After all that had happened I still wanted him. Even though he was now single, I knew my lies had blown any smidgen of a chance I had left.

I saw Arizona and Fallon and they moved as if they were encouraging me to sit with them. I wasn't stupid. I knew it could be a trap and I no longer needed friends like that. I took a seat at the front and gazed lazily out the window.

Our teacher hurried in late and quickly began handing out slips of paper. I looked and realised it was our exam schedule. Once seated, the teacher rushed through the register, just completing it before the bell rang and we were dismissed for class. I was happy to go, eager to get through the day so I could start my training.

"Kya," Fallon said in a gentle voice that sounded too close. I looked over to discover her matching my pace. She met my gaze, "Can we talk?"

"What do we have to discuss?"

"Nate."

"I told you before there is nothing between us."

"That's a shame because he really, really likes you."

I shrugged.

"Kya, I hate this what's going on between us." Fallon voice broke in a vulnerable way I had never heard before.

"Whose fault is that."

"My parents are getting divorced."

I stopped. As angry as I was for the way she had treated me and as desperate as I was for her to apologise, I could hear the pain in her voice. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Nate is speaking to me or anyone. He's heartbroken over you."

"That's not your fault."

"I hate the way people are treating you." She said, "I was mad at you but we're best friends and I can't stand to watch the way people are jumping on the bandwagon to make fun of you."

"They'll get bored," I said casually.

Fallon reached out to touch my hair, "I'm loving the new look."

"Thanks."

"Please hang out with Ari and I. If you like Nate, you have my blessing."

I shook my head, "I'm still not over Jace."

Fallon groaned, "Move on."

Then we both laughed. She squeezed my arm and I knew we had taken the first steps to repair our friendship.

I wanted to tell her about the crazy weekend I had. The way I had died. The way I had shifted, my crow form. My trip to the Scottish Highlands. My new family. The terrifying and alluring Cronus. But then the image of my parents behaving like complete strangers came to me. If i told Fallon the Reps could come for her too.