Chapter 12

The fever was worse in the evening. I felt myself burning up. I kicked off my covers. The dampness from my sweat sent a chill through my body despite the raging heat. I got out of bed and paced the room in my nightdress. I had chosen a loose white cotton a nightie in the hopes that it would keep me cool but it had been unbearable.

I opened the window to let some air in. I looked up at the sky and saw the milky white moon and its presence soothed my mind as if it was speaking to me. My body arched as if I had suddenly aged and stiff like my muscles were locked. I needed to move. I began pacing in my room but my bedroom felt too small. The walls closing in on me. I needed to be free. I climbed out my window, onto the kitchen roof, in the same manner, I had done before when I had been sneaking out to be with Nate. I shimmied along the tiles.

The house looked dark and foreboding. Everyone was asleep and it gave an unwelcoming presence like nobody was home. I felt very alone and very detached from everyone around me. I didn't belong anymore. I was no longer a part of my social circle and my family seemed alien to me as I was unable to tell them what was going on. Even I didn't understand myself.

I turned to crawl down the drainpipe but had a strange urge to jump. I knew I could hurt myself but I was done caring about myself. I was an absolute failure, even unable to finish myself. Frustration pushed me. I leapt from the roof, landing on all fours.

I smiled. The impact felt good. I felt strong. I wasn't hurt. I stood unaffected by what had just happened. I heard Aero whining for me. He was the only one that seemed to understand what I was going through. He clearly had sensed my presence and if I could sense he was anxious and about to start barking. I couldn't let that happen. He would wake everyone up, I would be caught and I was in enough trouble already.

I decided to open the back door. Aero jumped up into my arms. I laughed at his enthusiasm. How did he have too much energy so late at night? I embraced him and buried my head in his neck breathing him in.

"Shh! Shh!" I hushed him, "Alright, you can come with me."

I didn't bother getting his lead. Recently he had stayed by my side. It felt like we were in tune on a different level to everyone else. Plus, sneaking further into the house might draw attention that I was up. The house repelled me. I desperately wanted to be outdoor and free. I led Aero out, opened the side gate and we snuck down the side of the house and out onto the road.

I began to jog, Aero jogged alongside me. His big dark eyes glistening as he looked up at me. "You are a good dog," I told him. "Are you ready to run." My whole body was eager to move and I need to go harder and faster. I upped my pace and Aero kept up with me. We ran along the road stopping when we reached the Ferry.

I ran to the door of my mum's café. There was always a bowl left out on the step for dog walkers and their furry companions to have a drink. Aero was thirsty from the run and lapped it up. I let him rest but I was raring to go.

I listened to the sound of the fishing boat, a gentle sound of a ringing bell chiming in time with the wind and waves. I fidgeted as I waited for Aero. I was restless in a way I had never experienced before. The longer I stood still, the more my skin burned but when I moved I felt the cold winter air kiss my bare legs and sweep up under my cotton nightdress. My feet were bare and to anyone that might see me, they would likely think I had lost my mind. If anyone from school saw me they'd say I was attention-seeking. But right now, I had never felt more liberated and if I could shed my clothes completely I would. It was only my dignity and fear of being seen that prevented me from stripping completely.

I couldn't wait anymore, "Come on Aero!" I called. I decided to move off the road. We went across the shingle towards the sea and I followed the coast along. I enjoyed the exertion as we ran up the concrete steps. Finally, I found myself at the clifftops and knew I was almost home. I didn't want to stop. My body told me to keep going.