Chapter 15

We had been flying for so long, the sun had risen and it was now day. I had seen the landscapes change beneath us from forests and glistening rivers cutting paths through the earth, to urban landscapes with high rise buildings and the smog of traffic. Now we were weaving through mountains and gliding over large lakes. We began to rise up heather covered mountains, up towards a large house hidden up high.

The crows flew over the building and as we went over, I saw that in the centre there was a courtyard. They began to circle as they lowered them down into the square. They cast dark shadows on the ground creating a column that rose up and engulfed them. As their shadows dissipated like smoke they stood there looking like an ordinary human.

I glided down in the same manner they had but as I reached the bottom I was too tired to seek the darkness. I tried to land and found myself hopping on feet that arched from being tucked up for so long they were almost numb and it took me a few hops to steady myself. My heart began to race as I realised I was trapped in this feathered body.

The man looked massive as he reached an arm out towards. "Come on," his voice sounded in my mind but his lips didn't move. I hopped up his arm and onto his shoulder I wondered if he could still hear me.

"I'm stuck like this," I wailed but my words came out as if I was cawing.

He laughed. The sound warmed my heart. I fluffed my feathers as I shook off my fear. He looked towards the others, "Our little chick needs to sleep. I shall take her to the guest room until another room has been prepared." He began walking towards a door in the corner and I heard his voice in my mind, "Don't panic, once rested, your strength will return and you will be able to shift."

We entered the building. The corridor was painted cream and was flooded with light from the windows. On one side there was big arched windows looking out to the courtyard with black frames. On the other side the windows were mirrored in wood and the frames had delicate details of ivy and roses. There were columns twisting up in the middle rising to a platform above, like an indoor balcony with cast iron bars that looked down to where we were.

I snuggled into the man's neck as we took the stairs that twisted cast iron staircase, up towards the platform. We walked along it. There were doors up here, breaking the pattern of archways. The man reached one and pushed the door open.

Inside was a bedroom with a Gothic feel. The floor was dark wood as was the cieling. The wallpaper was a dark purple with a black pattern on it. There were full length windows with long draping grey curtains. The four poster bed was of a black wood with white silk bed linen. A chandelier hung from the ceiling. There was a mirrored wardrobe and chest of draws. On top of the drawers was a silver birdcage with a deep purple cushion at the base.

The man slid his fingers from under my feet and scooped me off his shoulder. He placed me inside the cage. I worried that he was going to lock the door and started to flap my wings.

"Hush chick," I heard his voice in my mind. "I'm not going to hurt you. Rest here. I will be back later to help you shift."

"Thank you," He squaked but he smiled as if he understood what I had said.

He didn't shut the metal door, just the room to the corridor. Although I wasn't locked in the cage, I couldn't escape the room in my bird like state. For the first time since changing I wondered if I had made a mistake in coming here. Had there been another option if I had refused those he had given me?

My head was too weary from the travel and everything that had happened. I walked around the cushion in a circle until I decided it was comfortable. I lowered myself down and tucked my head under my wing. My body was exhausted and I gave into the will of sleep.