Chapter 3 (Pre-NaNo)

"So, we'll meet at mine for 8:00pm." Fallon said, eyeing us expectantly and we both nodded.

We were sitting on the back of a bench, our feet on the seat discussing our plans for the weekend. This was our usual lunchtime hangout spot as it provided excellent views of the guys playing football.

However, I wasn't enjoying it as much as usual due to my ex-boyfriend looking like he was having too much of a good time with his mates. I'd suggested we go someplace else but Fallon felt it best that if he was acting like nothing bothered him that I should too. This had forced me to be more enthusiastic about clubbing than I might have; at least it was a distraction.

"Can I stay over?" Arizona asked Fallon. "I can't see dad agreeing I can stay out that late."

"Sure. What about you Kya?"

"I got away with sneaking out Christmas Eve; sure I can do it again." It wasn't like me to be rebellious but I didn't feel much like myself anymore. The cheeky smirk was quickly wiped off my face like a bucket of cold ice over my head. Her bright red hair with loose curls made its way around the sidelines of the field. Jace spotted his best friend Mariah. She'd never come to watch him play before but he ran up to her enthusiastically cheering her nickname "Freckles. You came."

I wanted to puke. I wanted to rip her hair out. The other lads all taunted and jeered, picking up on the change in their relationship. It was so obvious, like a bitch slap across the face.

"Oh my god! He's not seriously seeing her? I thought she was the ugly friend he felt sorry for? What the hell is he thinking?" Fallon spat.

I'd lent her my dress so she could go to the mistletoe disco. Now she was dating him! The backstabbing bitch! I gritted my teeth to force myself not to cry in front of everyone. I was so angry I wanted to scream. Fallon was doing all the talking for me as I watched Jace place a kiss on Mariah's forehead.

"How dare she come here! Stupid bitch is going to get what's coming to her. Don't you worry!" Fallon pushed herself up off the bench and started making her way over to Mariah.

My fists clenched up and my nails dug into my palms. I couldn't make out what Fallon was saying but I hoped Mariah would say something stupid and Fallon would pound her face in. Maybe, with a broken nose and missing teeth, Jace would be scared back into my arms where he belongs.

I'd been so nice to her, understanding that he was her friend and they didn't see each other often, cancelled dates for her... only for her to take him away from me. Why couldn't she have let Jace and I be happy?

"Are you okay?" Arizona whispered into the silence.

I hate it when people ask me that when I'm trying to hold back tears. Their words like fire licking across my eyeball, forcing me to acknowledge the pain of my losing battle. I jumped up from the bench and grabbed my bag, racing into the school.

"Kya! Kya!" I could hear Arizona chasing after me but it just made me run faster. I didn't want to talk about it. I wanted to calm down and forget as if it never happened as if it never hurt. I turned and was about to head into the girls' toilets when I realised that it would be the first place Arizona would look for me. So, I kept going and soon I was out the front of the school. I stopped and took a deep breath.

The person I was becoming was a stranger to me. I'd never been late for a lesson, never ran out of the school and I'd never wished anyone harm before.

Deep down, I knew they liked each other more than friends but convinced myself it was paranoia or jealousy and now I felt stupid. That's why I was really mad if I dug deep, that was what was at the bottom; I felt like a fool.