Chapter 22

"Nate, what are you doing here?"

Nate's eyes were wide and his jaw open and lax.

"You can't be here. You have to go." I whispered urgently.

He shook his head, "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"What are you?"

Just when things were starting to work out. I hurried to the window and looked out over the rooftops and windows to check for any crows watching. I didn't know if Cronus had anyone keeping any eye on me. I didn't see anyone. I quickly shut my window and drew the curtains so nobody passing or spying could see in.

Nate barely moved as if frozen, just his eyes shifting as he followed me around the room like I was a predator.

"What are you here?" I asked desperately.

"You didn't come to Fallon's party."

"So you broke in."

"The window was open."

I let out a deep breathe. "Nate, you have to trust me and not ask any questions. Anything I tell you puts you in danger." I threw my arms around him. Breathing him in a returned me to our tryst. Now it was up to me to make this his safe place. I sat back on my heels and looked into his eyes, "Can you stay the night?"

Nate nodded.

"Wait here," I instructed him before sneaking out of my room. I wasn't sure what team my zombie parents were on. Even though they were in lala land, I still didn't think a boy in my room would be permitted but for different reasons to my parents. My parents would have wanted to protect my dignity and protect me from getting my heart broken although that had happened plenty of times outside of my room. The Reps that now possessed them would want to keep our world secret and what Nate had seen put his life in danger.

I got some PJs from Murray's bedroom for Nate. I then returned to my room and tossed them at him I got a nightie out of my draw so I could finally get out of my school uniform. "Look the other way and get dressed."

"How do I know you won't peak."

"You won't know." I smiled. The gentle flirting lifted the mood in the room and I saw Nate relax a little. Once I was changed, I said, "Are you done?"

"Yeah."

I turned round and saw that Nate was sitting on my bed facing the wall. He turned to look over his shoulder at me. I walked over to my bed and got in. "Are you getting in?"

Nate quickly got in. We lay watching each other and smiling. I could see the way he adored me as his eyes sparkled. Any fear had gone. I worried about the questions were coming and wondered how I was going to explain myself. Was he already in danger for what he had seen or could I swore him to secrecy. I still had so much to learn about the laws of this world. The more I learned the more I feared Cronus.

"Did Fallon tell you about my boyfriend?"

Nate looked sad, in a weak voice he asked, "Is it true?"

"No. She just assumed he was. He's a dangerous man. I'm fine but he will hurt you and my friends. I have to keep you all away."

Nate looked frightened but not for himself. His eyes widened as his eyes filled with concern. He tucked hair behind my ear and whispered, "You don't need to be afraid, I will protect you."

Nate had no idea the people he was challenging. I shook my head, "I need you to trust me, to protect you."

"Why are you so scared of him. Just walk away."