Chapter 4 (Pre-Nano)

We headed out into the January cold. The sky was half lit as the night came to an end and the early morning sun began to make a start.

Nate led me out the garden gate and once in the alley, he reached for my hand. At first, I wasn't sure and froze still. I saw the slight panic flash across his eyes like someone that had approached a wild animal to quickly. But, I didn't pull away and when I smiled at him, he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and we began to walk in silence as if nervous that any sound might startle me or alert someone to our presence. We hadn't yet been caught.

The silence filled the air with tension and I was desperate to break it. So I blurted out, "Why don't you want to kiss me?" Instantly I regretted my question and blushed.

"I do," He said and I breathed a sigh of relief, "But, I know I won't stop there."

"Oh," I started burning up, my hand sweating in his. I worried he could feel the dampness and it made me feel even more awkward.

"Maybe, I want you to," I mumbled, lacking the confidence I had intended.

"I see," He grinned.

"I do." I threw my head back and looked at him, feigning my confidence.

"Sounds like rebound?"

"It's not."

"Maybe, I will."

My heart raced at the thought, "Are you worried about Fallon finding out? I won't tell her about us."

"More like Murray."

"My brother?"

"Don't you ever wonder why a hot girl like you doesn't get more interest?"

"I'm not hot," I bowed my head, causing my blonde hair to cascade down around my face.

"Your brother would kill me. He hated Jace for dating you. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have something to do with your break up."

"No, he's not like..." It started to make sense; his insistence to chaperone all my dates, bringing Mariah as his date... a girl that was so not his type!

"He's made it clear that no-one is to touch his sister. He'd deck me just for saying you're hot."

"That's not fair," I complained. "He goes through girls faster than hot meals!"

"I don't blame him. I'd be the same with Fallon but I wouldn't have any knuckles left if I tried to keep up with her list."

"She's not that bad," I defended my friend.

"My rule is just to hurt anyone that hurts her and so far she's been doing all the heartbreaking. I can't say the same for Jace."

We turned onto the high road that led up towards the cliffs. My heart sunk again hearing his name. I wanted comfort; a cuddle, a kiss. Was this what 'rebound' felt like; a desperate need to feel loved and touched again by someone, anyone. It wasn't fair to treat Nate this way when he was being so kind and I felt bad for using him.

"I can walk myself home."

"Don't be silly."

We were nearing the cliff tops and the wind picked up my hair, rising it like the golden ball of the sun, balancing on the surface of the sea. The sea was dark and looked hard and cold except for the warm reflection of light glimmering like hope in the distance. Perhaps everything wouldn't look so bleak once the day was here. "It's pretty, isn't it?"

"The sunrise?" Nate asked, following my gaze.

"Yeah, full of promise."

He hummed in agreement. We turned the corner to follow the cliff tops along to my house when a bike spun around the corner. They were riding on the pavement as they slammed on their brakes.