Chapter 5 (Pre-NaNo)

I didn't want to go to Arizona's. I just wanted to stay at home and feel sorry for myself. But, I was sick of that too. So, I had forced myself, against my will to Arizona's house.

We sat on cushions in her front room on opposite sides of the coffee table. She had my hands soaking in a warm bowl of water whilst she got her stuff together.

"Did you really make this yourself?" I asked.

"Yes," Arizona said annoyed that I didn't believe her. "This shade," She held up a little glass bottle, "Was made with beetroot and purple sweet potato. It is going to be this seasons colour."

"Yeah, but how did you make it into a polish?" I asked.

Arizona sighed, "Well, I don't have all the ingredients so the base is a clear polish I bought but the colour is all mine." She lifted one of my hands from the bowl, dried it and then gave me a little massage with some moisturiser. "So, do you want to talk about Jace?"

My jaw tensed. This was one of the things I worried about. Everyone prying and fussing when all I wanted to do was to go back to how it was. Pretend we were still good. I shut my eyes tightly and saw his pity face.

"I'll take that as a no then." Arizona put my hand down. She picked up a clear base coat and began painting my nails. "Anyone new you like?"

"Do we have to talk about boys?" I snapped.

"No," Arizona replied. "How is your revision for the exams going?"

"Oh Ari, you are just full of light-hearted conversation." I laughed. "Crap, everything is crap."

"I'm worried about you."

"No," I shook my head, "Not you too. Don't give me the pity face."

"Sorry," Arizona blushed, "I just care."

"You know what?" I asked but didn't expect an answer, "I think Fallon is right. This weekend, I need to get so wasted I forget. I have to move on and have fun."

"Yes," Arizona grinned at me. "That's the spirit."

"And, maybe I will pull. But, I'm not looking for love. I'm done with boys, boyfriends and all that. I just want to be naughty, careless and wild."

Arizona placed my hand under a UV lamp to dry the colour. She unscrewed the bottle of polish she had created and shown me the deep violet purple colour, "I was going to call it heartbreak and dedicate it to you but...."

"Call it heartbreak but I'll be the one breaking hearts from now on." I could feel my heartache twisting into something powerful. Like food spoiling, my love for Jace went from something sweet to something bitter that would make your stomach curl. I wanted him to suffer.

"Watch out guys," Arizona sang, "I love this new Kya. She's fierce and unstoppable!"

Yes. I'd make Jace suffer and he wouldn't see it coming.

*****

My hand shook. Deep down, I knew what I was doing was wrong. I knocked on Murray's bedroom door before entering.

He hit a button on his mobile to mute his music, "What do you want?"

I sat on his bed, "I'm in trouble."

"What's up?"

I had been thinking about what Nate had told me about my brother interfering in my romantic life. The only reason I could think that he would do that was to protect me from getting hurt. He would be feeling guilty that his protection had caused me such heartache and would want to do anything to help me, especially if he believed his actions had made my situation worse. I had a plan to use my little fantasy so my brother's overprotective controlling nature would punish Jace.