Chapter 23: Galleons to pounds

Though he had to really concentrate on walking and listening to the directions from his staff as he walked, Harry had moments where he thought about what he'd do when he returned to Privet Drive. He could pack up the rest of his things and put them in his staff.

I wonder if Hedwig's cage will fit?

His books had fit and they were larger than the staff, so maybe the cage would, too? He wondered if everything was rattling around the staff as he walked.

It didn't feel like things were moving inside of it.

Hedwig! She's not back yet!

Harry stopped in the middle of the walkway. He sucked in a deep breath while reminding himself that it was only Friday, his training didn't start until Monday morning, and he continued his steady tap, tapping way.

She'll be back by then... and maybe with a letter from Hermione.

He stopped at an intersection and listened carefully for cars, not hearing any and with the reassurance from his staff that there weren't any coming, he started across. Once he was safely crossed, he went back to planning.

How am I going to get to 56 Charing Cross Road by 9 am on Monday?

He thought about sending a letter to Madam Pomfrey asking for suggestions... she knew that he had the training. He dreaded the thought of contacting her, though, after the floo fiasco. Also, he didn't really want to bring it to her attention that he couldn't expect help from the Dursleys. He was kind of put out with her for not noticing or not caring how horrid Aunt Petunia was to him.

He could take the train and underground to Charing Cross Road if he could convert his galleons into pounds.

Where do I find a place to convert coins?

The thought made him prickle with sweat. He'd only traveled by the Hogwarts express by himself before and that was when he could see. He really didn't count the trip he and Ron had made in the Flying Ford Anglia—he had been with Ron after all. He had the staff and was learning how to use it and that made things easier, for sure, but he still couldn't read signs without using the anagnóstis and that would be a little awkward... what if he couldn't reach them to read them?

And it's not like I can do that around muggles.

Maybe Nio hus cherio kisa would want to go with me!

He can't read signs, either. And how would I care for him in the city? Where would I find soft earth to dig up worms and other bugs? He's probably never gone beyond the garden wall. He won't want to travel to London with me.

Harry's hope deflated a bit.

The walkway had disappeared and now he was walking on the side of the road. He heard a car approaching and froze for a second as his staff warned him of the approaching car and the closing distance. He moved over closer to the hedgerow that was encroaching on the street. The branches poked into his back as he held his staff parallel to his body and waited for the car to pass. When his staff started describing the area in detail, he realized that he must have squeezed it twice in rapid succession and he was surprised to hear it read the street sign, "Privet Drive."

My staff will read signs to me!

He drew in a breath that held the scent of both exhaust and leaves and continued toward Number 4. It would be busier on the street soon as people returned from work. The local primary was out and there were more kids playing outside, too. Some of them got quiet as he neared and he thought they had probably stopped to stare at him as he passed.

Basilisk EyesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara