Chapter 145: Serpenti nuntius

"Harry?"

Someone had grasped his shoulder and jiggled it.

"Wha—?" His head snapped up and he wiped a trail of spittle off his chin.

"Harry, are you okay?" Besel asked.

"Uh, yeah. Must have fallen asleep, is all."

"Do you know where your little snake is?"

"Er, yes, he's right here." Harry touched the bundle of snake nestled against his belly under his jumper. Little Friend squirmed and Harry let out an involuntary giggle, bouncing the snake.

"Where is the exit of this warm cave?" Little Friend asked through the layers of clothing.

Harry shifted and pulled part of his T-shirt out of his trousers and stuck his hand inside so that Nio could emerge. The snake coiled around his hand and wrist.

"Auror Robards has been stabilized and we're ready to investigate the tunnels. Are you feeling up to going down into the tunnels?"

"Sure," Harry said, sitting up straighter and shaking his head to rid himself of his sleepiness.

"Are you ready to show us the tunnels?" Harry asked Nio.

"Yes, though are there any more tasty worms? I could use a little snack first."

"Of course," Harry laughed and stood up, reaching for his busted staff that he had leaned against the chair. He waved his hand through the space, only encountering empty air and the wall. He couldn't find it. He bent down, thinking that maybe it had fallen.

"Where's my staff?" he asked Besel.

"Oh, Figora took it to start rebuilding it. I think Healer Jordan has a couple of muggle canes here in her office. Let me find one for you."

"There aren't any magical staves?"

"No, they take some time to make and they are tailor-made for each wixen that needs it."

"But, when I went to St. Mungo's they had mine ready," Harry said.

"I imagine Hogwarts told them ahead of time?" Besel said as she was opening cupboard doors across the room. She muttered the summoning charm and something smacked against her hand.

"Oh."

"Here you go. Good thing you were practicing with one yesterday," she said as she neared him.

"Right." Harry held out his hand for the folded cane. "Figora tried to summon one of these for me yesterday, but it didn't come."

"Oh, well, the cabinet it was in has a magical seal. She probably forgot with everything else that was going on."

"Is there anyone else who was out of the classrooms when it happened?"

"No, they are still sealed in. We've sent them messages to let them know what is going on. They are all okay. Healer Jordan is working on making sure everyone is accounted for. There are a handful of students that we're still trying to track down, though."

"Who is missing?" Harry's heart lurched up toward his throat at the news.

"We think that some of your roommates are together, but maybe in a null zone as they haven't been able to answer us with magic. We're working on it."

"Who is it?" His fluttering breath made his words wobbly.

"Gemma, Peter, and Aminah. Aminah's mother had just left. We think the three of them were on their way to Ms. Midgeon's class together."