Chapter 41: Fish tales

Gemma had left his side and he guessed she was hugging Mei from the muffled sound of Mei's sobs. He stood there holding the plate of biscuits and feeling like a jackass.

"Sorry," he muttered to Bing.

"No worries, mate. It's cocked up. It's all cocked up."

"Yeah, I guess so."

There was a plinking sound like someone had dropped some beads and a whiff of fish that made Harry wonder what they were having for dinner.

"Did someone break a necklace," Harry asked.

"Oh, no, I'll get those." Bing had gone down on the floor and was picking up the rolling beads.

Harry, feeling a bit useless, fished a biscuit off the plate and ate it.

Mmm. A chocolate bourbon.

Soon, Mei's sobs quieted to hiccups. Harry got his staff out his pocket and summoned a clean handkerchief from it without managing to spill the biscuits (he was feeling pretty skilled about that) and offered it to Mei, taking a step toward her wet sounds.

"Oi!" Harry exclaimed as something rolled under his foot and he almost fell, but Bing caught his elbow.

The plate of biscuits went flying, however, and shattered on the floor. Harry listened as Bing cast a repairing charm and then restored the plate with the biscuits to his hand.

"Oops, I guess I missed one," Bing said.

"Thanks, mate."

Harry extended his hand with the handkerchief to Mei again.

"Cheers," she replied, sniffling while taking it from him.

"Want to have some tea with us at our table?" Harry invited.

"Sure, I guess," said Mei.

"The charm is Scribunt loqui if you'd like Gemma to be able to understand what you're saying," Harry suggested.

Mei huffed.

"Hey, Mei," Bing said. "I'll help you do it."

Harry repeated it. After many attempts, Harry heard the tattletale crinkling of paper.

Gemma had come back over to him as they worked on the charm, her hand on his arm.

Mei hesitantly greeted Gemma and Harry could sense her hands moving in a signed response. He also heard a little bit of paper flapping by Gemma which he hadn't noticed before.

"Gemma, do you have a charmed bit of paper, too, for your signs?"

She tapped his arm twice, "yes."

"Oh, that's cool." He felt a bit sad, a little left out and then he shook his head to get rid of the feeling.

She tapped his hand and he took her arm and they made their way to the table. Harry paid close attention to the plate of biscuits—not wanting to dump them again. Gemma guided Harry's hand to the tabletop and he placed the plate on it. Harry felt for his lunch plate, worried that he'd put the biscuits on top of them accidentally, but couldn't find it.

"Did someone clear our plates?"

Gemma tapped twice on his arm.

Bing was moving a chair away so that Mei had a place at the table next to Gemma. Harry sat on her other side and Bing next to him.

Harry had a moment of thankfulness that the spilled pitcher earlier had not been hot tea when he took a sip of the tea that Bing had poured out for him.