Chapter 107: Imbued

"Harry, don't give him a knut of your attention," Professor Lupin said after he made sure the door was securely shut again. "I shouldn't say it, but since we're technically not colleagues yet and what he said was rather mean spirited—I'll tell you that he takes pleasure in the discomfort of others. It reflects rather more on him than on the people he is trying to cut down."

"Yeah?" Harry said hopefully and a bit surprised that Professor Lupin would actually criticize a peer, but he was still feeling rankled—there was truth in Snape's cutting words. How am I supposed to do well in class if I can't even tell if my shield is invisible or rainbow-colored?

He shook his head trying to get rid of the thoughts. He'd never cast a shield charm before he lost his sight. He was learning so many things at the Center and a lot of it was way above the level it was taught at Hogwarts.

Snape should go hump the Whomping Willow. The image that blossomed in his mind's eye made him snort and he tried to cover it with a cough.

"And your shield charm was impressive. I doubt a sighted student would have had the reflexes to cast one so perfectly and quickly. And did you do it nonverbally? I don't remember hearing you mutter the incantation," Professor Lupin said. "And you're not even a third-year student yet. Amazing."

"Did I? I don't think I cast it nonverbally. I don't know how," Harry said. "I think it was my staff."

"Did you cast it with your staff or your wand?"

"Oh, I dunno," Harry said, and then realized that he was holding his wand. He must have flicked it out. His staff was in his other hand. "Both?"

"It could have been the combined effect—hmmm," said Professor Lupin. "You said your staff cast a protection charm that saved you from a lorry, right? Was it also colorful?"

"I dunno. No one said so. I don't think it was. I don't think they saw it," Harry said. "They couldn't see me, either, I was disillusioned at the time."

"Well, these are things that we can explore and work on in these sessions. Healer Jordan said that there's a reporter from the Daily Prophet who seems to be breaching the Privacy Act and that some of our work this summer can focus on learning how to detect threats as well as mitigate them."

"Professor..." Harry paused.

"What is it, Harry?"

"Well, I'm just not sure. I mean, it seems like you know a lot, but then you haven't worked with blind wixen before... so how are you going to help me? I mean, wouldn't this be a job for someone with experience with what I'm facing?" Harry stumbled through his concern.

"That's a very good point, Harry. And, yes, it is true, I haven't worked with people who've lost their vision before, but I have had life experiences that have prepared me for defending myself and also evading detection when needed. How about I make you a deal? You let me know if I get something wrong or something needs to be adjusted and I'll do my best to give you the tools and support that you need?" Professor Lupin said. "And if it doesn't work, then we'll talk to Healer Jordan and figure out another arrangement."

"Okay, I guess we could try that," Harry said, shrugging.

Harry heard Professor Lupin striding over to him so that he was standing right in front of Harry. Harry wasn't sure what he was doing. "Are you holding your hand out to me?" Harry asked, cocking his head to the side as he tried to hear more clearly. He stuck out his hand—just in case.

"Er, yes, and I'll remember to let you know next time. Let's shake on it, okay?" Professor Lupin said, grasping his hand firmly and shaking it.

"Okay, let's get to work on your shield charm—so that when you cast it when you're surprised—you are conscious of whether or not it is transparent. It has to do with intention and visualization. I'll have to do some research about what might be causing you to subconsciously visualize a rainbow now. I take it that this is a new development that came about after you fought the Basilisk?" Professor Lupin asked.