NINETEEN

They left Ember Island on the crack of dawn. Zuko and Homura didn't exchange a word as they got in the boat that would take them back to the capital, but from the few looks they cast each other when the other wasn't looking, a trained eye could realise there was something going on the company didn't know of.

It just so happened that Suki and Ty Lee were observant and picked up clues like that rather easily. The first few looks they ignored, but as their trip progressed, neither of them could ignore what was going on. Despite the glances they cast to each other, though, it was evident they were stressed - mainly Zuko, who was going to interrogate the one who had attempted to assassinate him last night - and so Suki and Ty Lee stayed quiet. They didn't need to let everyone know of their findings at once.

As the boat reached the shore, Zuko, Toph and Aang took the way to the prison while the rest headed to the palace. It was a walk spent in silence and Toph certainly didn't want to break it - not when she could feel how rigid Zuko and Aang were - but she didn't have much of a choice. After all, she didn't know the reason it had been decided this morning she'd be going with them.

"Why am I going to the prison with you? I'm not a symbol of peace like Aang or the figure that almost got assassinated."

Zuko and Aang turned to face her before the former spoke. "You're here to make sure he doesn't lie."

She smirked. "I like your plan, Zuko. What if he lies? Do I get to beat him up?"

"I thought of another plan," he admitted with an almost malicious smile, "Aang will threaten him to take his bending away."

Aang's eyes widened as he turned to Zuko. "Are you sure? It's not something I enjoy-"

"You don't have to take his bending away, just make him think you will if he doesn't cooperate. Get into the Avatar state for a short while so he'll take you seriously."

"I can do that," Aang murmured as the prison came in sight. "Mai has already managed to get answers out of him, though."

"She probably has," he admitted, "but in case she hasn't, we need to have a plan."

Toph agreed with him even though she didn't mention it. The gates of the prison opened for them to get inside and they were instantly greeted by Mai, appearing as serious and down to business as ever.

"I got him to talk. It didn't need much, he didn't feel like withholding information. I'm sure he won't mind repeating what he told me a while ago."

Zuko nodded as she fell into step beside him. "Thank you, Mai. I appreciate it."

"That's one of the exciting parts of my job," she replied, even though there was a hidden edge in her tone, as if she were being sarcastic. "How's the warrior?"

"Fine. Katara healed her."

She nodded at him once as she led them down a narrow corridor before they got in a wide room filled with cells on either side of it. The prisoners looked up as they passed by them, and Zuko's eyes fell on the figure of a woman with long, dark hair and eyes he thought were familiar. With a shake of his head, he looked away as he followed after Mai to the end of the corridor. They got in another room that was bare of anything and turned to the side as they reached a door. She opened it and they got inside.

The man from last night was in there, his legs and arms tied. He was grinning as he watched them get in, his eyes falling on Zuko the moment the door closed. He spoke up before the Fire Lord could demand answers.

"You can't stop us. There's more of us and we'll do anything to bring you down."

Aang took a step forward. "What's your goal?"