EXTRA 3 ~ sick day

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool." -William Shakespeare.

-------------------> IT WAS AT BREAKFAST that Tom Marvolo Riddle noticed something was different

For one, Rose Potter was bundled in a fur coat Narcissa Malfoy had gifted her from her latest shopping adventure. Second, Rose was shivering. Third, the tip of her nose was red and her face was heavily flushed. And if that wasn't enough to clue him in that something was wrong, the fact that she either sneezed or coughed at regular intervals surely did.

"Rose, are you feeling alright?" Marvolo finally asked, after seeing her sneeze so heavily into her toast that a bit of jam splattered everywhere.

"I'm fine, Marvolo," Rose replied. Her voice sounded somewhat like a constipated whale.

Marvolo took out his Yew wand and cast a simple diagnostic charm on her.

"You are sick, Rose." He told her.

Rose laughed, or that is at least what he thought she did. Her voice was practically non-existent and was sounding more and more like a dying goat. "Don't be silly, Marvolo. I haven't been sick since I got the chickenpox in third grade. I'm not sick Marvolo, I am perfectly healthy. Fit as a fiddle, if you would."

"Rose," Marvolo said slowly, making sure she understood. "You have a 102-degree fever. I can assure you that you are indeed very, very ill."

Rose's previously smiling face disappeared. Now, she looked quite angry and stood up from her chair. "I am not sick, Marvolo! Stop trying to convince me otherwise!" She shouted, and with that, she stomped away from the dining room with a dramatic flair and Marvolo heard the door shut with a loud THUD a few seconds later.

"Honestly, she is so stubborn." He said to nobody in particular.

"Really, Master?" Nagini hissed with an amused tone in her voice as she made her way near him from the other side of the room. "Doesn't she remind you of anybody else? I remember the Healer having to spend four hours trying to convince you that you were ill."

"That is different, Nagini." Voldemort hissed at his familiar. "I was being reasonable."

"You Crucio'ed him for dare suggesting that you could contract petty mortal diseases, and I am quoting you on that." Hissed Nagini, and Voldemort was sure that if snakes could deadpan, it would sound precisely like that.

"Exactly, perfectly reasonable." He hissed back, firmly maintaining his stance. "This girl on the other hand is delusional."

"Yes," Nagini hissed. "It is not like Rose exploded one of your kidneys for saying that she was sick."

Voldemort gave his familiar a look. Nagini, sadly, remained unaffected by it.

"I am going to go and give Rose the Pepper-Up Potion," Voldemort announced. "As much as it pains me to say, she is still my Horcrux, and so her health.. concerns me."