Chapter 22

"The most we can do is to allow people we love most to see us at our worst. At our lowest. At our weakest. True intimacy happens when nothing is perfect." -Amy Harmon

----------------> "I LOVE HIM," Rose repeated with a soft smile and flushed cheeks

----------------> "I LOVE HIM," Rose repeated with a soft smile and flushed cheeks. "God, it's weird and crazy and I am pretty sure that I have Stockholm syndrome; but when has love ever made sense? Nagini, I love him. I really, really love him."

Nagini stayed silent as she watched Rose get a starry-eyed look in her eyes.

"I don't even know why I love him." Rose continued. "But I know I just do. And I do, I really do."

"You know he's a murderer," Nagini repeated once again slowly. "Rose, you know that the Dark Lord has done unspeakable horrors and he will continue to do so."

Rose smiled. "That oddly enough doesn't bother me. Whatever he has been or has done in the past is something that I do not want to hear about. It doesn't concern me, and I was not there. I love what I see now and that is all that matters. To me, he has been a complete sweetheart. After all, Shakespeare said, 'Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind'." She paused before speaking again, this time hesitantly. "Do you- do you think he likes me back?"

"No.," Nagini said shortly, refusing to look up and meet her eyes.

"Why?" Rose questioned, lightly frowning her eyebrows. "Did I - did I do something wrong?"

"It's not you," Nagini reassured her. "He just can't love, Rose, at least not properly..."

Rose frowned her eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean he can't love 'properly'?" she asked with a nervous laugh.

"He... He was born under the effects of a love potion. Those born under the effects of a love potion cannot love." Nagini confessed.

Rose let out a shocked strangled gasp.

"That's not possible." She said in denial. "Everybody can love. Love is an emotion. It's not something that somebody can be deprived of. It's impossible."

"You thought magic was impossible a few months ago." Nagini pointed out. "Rose, I like you. I care for you. I don't want to see you get hurt. He cannot love, Rose. Maybe he will be possessive of you, or perhaps addicted to your presence, or even feel comfortable and extremely happy whenever you are around or whenever he thinks of you... But know that he will never be able to reciprocate your feelings."

Rose did not reply, choosing instead to blankly stare at the wall.

"What did you expect?" Nagini hissed, slithering close to Rose's warm body. "A confession back? Marriage? Kids? A manor with white picket fences? This is the Master, Rose. The Dark Lord. He. Cannot. Love."